Search results

1. Oilhammer

Boiler vent challenge - plus new boiler/WH selection help

That makes sense to me. Instead of 40kbtu to heat water, you have 160kbtu and the overall cycle just takes a few minutes out of the heat cycle. I think there are models that are combi that you can add a sidearm tank to later if need be. That might have to be my route. Curious, I could...
  2. Oilhammer

Zero progress finding a local consultant to back up my own CAD based calcs. I've now run multiple J calcs just to capture a spectrum. I also cross referenced my figures against existing fin tube BTU figures and I'm pretty close. (Fin tube in place suggests an output of 124-139btu but there's...
  3. Oilhammer

Correction- My current boiler is 290k btu. Not sure how I recalled 199k, but that's way off. It's massive and as I recall, doesn't burn very long unless I'm firing it up cold.
  4. Oilhammer

Yes, I think I'm into finding a designer or continuing with aforementioned outfit already. I ran heat loss calcs, but there's a certain art to putting a good system together. What I like about this forum is that nobody on here is "selling" me something. My house is complicated and my budget...
  5. Oilhammer

No way to verify that at the moment. I can tell you the boiler was set to about 175 and I can tell you all of the copper supply lines are uninsulated. Many of them rest directly on the concrete wall in the crawl space, and all are supported by bare nails in joist bays. It's a mess. There's...
  6. Oilhammer

I've only had the house a year, so limited experience with how it heats. The dirt on the walls was no doubt from lack of cleaning....she didn't do much of anything. I did notice that the fin tube would pretty quickly change the house from uncomfortable to comfortable, even with little to no...
  7. Oilhammer

There's some similar threads on boiler/hot water heater, but it quickly digressed into complicated car discussions. I have a few different challenges: Challenge 1: The existing natural draft vent pulls the boiler and the WH up through an 8" single wall then 8" type B for the vert through...
  8. Oilhammer

1963 copper remodel to ABS-layout help needed

Passed all plumbing rough inspections. Thanks to all for the help! I have more questions about boilers, but I'll start a new thread for that.
  9. Oilhammer

It's got to be metric and just a few mm larger than the 3" pipe. It's not a special coupling, but it is difficult to install because you are stretching it to fit on the toilet discharge. The easy way is to remove the band clamp and get the rubber around it first, then slide the metal up...
  10. Oilhammer

The geberit toilet drain won’t fit a standard 3” socket. They provide an adapter coupling that mates to street or 3” pipe. The coupling is also greater than 3.5” in diameter so it needs to stay below floor. That means the closest you can trim the toilet drain is about 2” below subfloor. (By...
  11. Oilhammer

That's essentially what this plan was. I tried really hard to find a street 3x3x2 tee with the TOP the street end, not the bottom. If I could have found that, I would have assembled it more closely to the sketch. Without that street, I wind up being about 3" too long in the first assembly to...
  12. Oilhammer

Picture F055 yes. Yeah, that's what I was thinking, swap those for 45's to get height faster once it clears the joist. I assume you are referring to the basement bath walls right next to the WC 90. The wall going to the right parallel to the joists comes out. The wall perpendicular to the...
  13. Oilhammer

Thanks! Yes, the wye on the WC/lav is flat. What I'd like to do is change those two street 22's on the lav to something a little more aggressive and get up into the joist bay faster. Kitchen, Ok so that sounds like it's not possible the way I was thinking then. I really can't get over to that...
  14. Oilhammer

It mostly laid out that like the sketch. Nothing glud yet. Lav ties to WC on the flat, which is not ideal. Can the kitchen tie to lab line? (Pics have to be resized)
  15. Oilhammer

Confirmed that the "variant" above with the laundry sink on the left is the only way I can make the drains fit. I might be able to fit the WC within a framed wall below but the fitting clearance will be tight. Working on a sketch. Difficult to see, but if I join lav (light blue) to the WC up...
  16. Oilhammer

Here's a framing picture that may help. Basement view, standing under the washer/dryer and looking up and towards the powder lav. You can see the 3" black pipe for the toilet popping down. You can see drilled 2" holes for laundry and lav drains. Copper toilet and vent obviously not demo'd...
  17. Oilhammer

The basement wall is 2x6 and it's garbage. I can take it out and frame however I like, though my permit doesn't say I'm doing anything in the basement.....city might hassle me about that, but it's not load bearing. 1) Curious, this confluence is TIGHT in the joists. I'm not sure I can...
  18. Oilhammer

Whew....that's a bundle of snakes.
  19. Oilhammer

1) If the lav/laundry drain turn and connect to the soil stack above the WC, can they then share the drain? Otherwise I'm not sure how the laun sink connects in. 2) I'll sketch the joists and lower floor plan....there may be another obvious thing to you that I'm over complicating. Basement...
  20. Oilhammer

I always make things difficult.... so if I'm removing the copper stack, I might as well fix the floor plan, right? This is better: Then that would mean the piping looks more like this: Laundry standpipe is far left. I can drain that directly within joist bay to the original stack. I can...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks