Search results

1. Tooltalk

Adding washing machine drain to copper drain under kitchen sink

Here's the finished job, well almost. Still have to hook up sink and haven't glued the vent pipes in yet. I will probably be hanging some cabinets on the wall, so will wait to finish the vents until then. I used the cheaper "cheater" vents and I know they may not meet code requirements, but I've...
  2. Tooltalk

I knew I had some 45s around here somewhere. Is this what you were describing for the sink vent?
  3. Tooltalk

Yes, they are both 2". The laundry sink trap and the vents are 1.5".
  4. Tooltalk

I wondered about that. I didn't have any 1.5" 45s handy, but will get a couple tomorrow. Also, with the current height of the laundry branch the 45 degree vent wouldn't clear bottom of sink. If I remove the kitchen wye on top of the cleanout from under laundry tee, I can lower the laundry branch...
  5. Tooltalk

Am I getting closer? ;) If this setup works, does the pipe between washer p-trap and washer vent wye need to be at least 4 inches, or is the wye considered part of the trap arm? Edit: found the answer to this in image below.
  6. Tooltalk

Having a bit of trouble visualizing all that and I'm not familiar with all the plumbing lingo. What's a combo? Edit, just Googled it and see it's combination Wye & 1/8 bend already made in one fitting. I guess that saves some space. Out shopping now and 'll see if I can find one.
  7. Tooltalk

Thanks for helping. I think I finally understand what you're saying about the vents. Not sure I have room to add a vent to the sink trap arm before it joins the trap arm for the washer, but I'll play around with some fittings and see. I'm pretty sure Ontario does allow the sink to connect to...
  8. Tooltalk

I think we were posting at same time. Did you see my most recent image. It has two vent pipes that tie back together above the flood level, as Terry suggested. Thanks.
  9. Tooltalk

Thanks for quick reply. So was this one I posted the other day correct?
  10. Tooltalk

Hi Terry. Sorry if I'm asking the same question over and over, but is this what you were describing with the vent on the trap arm? In one of my previous images I had the vent in front of the wye for the laundry tub. I'm just about ready to start gluing things up, so I'd really appreciate some...
  11. Tooltalk

No turning back now. ;) The old cast iron came out easier than I expected. I was surprised there was no lead in the joint at all. It seemed like oakum mixed with something like cement on top, then oily, greasy oakum below that. I'm starting with kitchen sink side this morning and will tackle...
  12. Tooltalk

Thanks for your response and explanation. That helps me better understand the potential problems. The only main stack is at the back of the house where the main floor bathroom is. The kitchen sink is at the front of the house about 30-40 feet from the stack. It is a story and half house, with...
  13. Tooltalk

Ok, let's try this again. Think I'm starting to understand wet venting and I'd prefer not to connect laundry tub to standpipe, since I may replace tub with different sink in future. Thanks for everyone's patience while I work this.
  14. Tooltalk

Sorry if I misunderstood and yes I confused matters by adding third option of moving the tub tee to stand pipe. If we call that option C, which option are you recommending? Sounds like you're saying inserting the tub tee or wye into the trap arm creates a wet vent for the washing machine. Isn't...
  15. Tooltalk

Good to know option B will work. Thanks. One thing that occurred to me this morning is that a sanitary tee may not be acceptable for a horizontal change in drain flow where the tub drain will connect to the laundry trap arm. So was thinking I should replace the tee for the laundry tub drain...
  16. Tooltalk

Thanks Terry. Been doing some dry fitting and I need the trap arm to be about 12" to put the stand pipe where I want it. I've come up with the two options below. Option A is my original plan and Option B would be the setup you describe above. Option B would require all the fittings to be very...
  17. Tooltalk

Thanks for the quick reply. What if the wye for the kitchen was on top of the tee for the laundry? I think that's worse too, maybe in terms of venting, but I'm not sure. I was just trying to see if I could lower the trap arm a bit. Stacking the tee on top of the wye, which is on top of the...
  18. Tooltalk

Would there be any problem using a double sanitary tee inplace of the tee and wye circled in my attached drawing? That would make it easier to line up the drain for the laundry tub. Seems like it's better to use one piece instead of two as well. I would just add a 45 to the left side tee to go...
  19. Tooltalk

Thanks Terry! Took me awhile wrap my head around this. So glad I'm on right track. I was thinking 1.5" would be ok for kitchen drain, but makes sense to go with 2". Will also insert a wye with a cleanout cap.
  20. Tooltalk

Here's a sketch of what I've come up with so far that will fix the kitchen s-trap and add laundry drains in basement. Any obvious problems here? Thanks very much.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks