Search results

1. Determinedkvb

Shower window finished

Quite some time ago I asked about materials and waterproofing concerns for a shower window. Here: asking about what to do I have finally completed the tile/sill/trim/grout. I do not like asking too many questions on forums - but it is part of the process of figuring things out. Hopefully those...
  2. Determinedkvb

Hardie Hydrodefense - redguard, kerdi, both?

My initial problem with figuring out which thinset to use came about because Hardie stated a requirement of modified while Kerdi stated a requirement of unmodified. That puts a DIYer in a tricky spot. My other problem was the availability of waterproof backer-board. I felt this was a...
  3. Determinedkvb

I went with the Versabond. Most of what I applied appears to be at what I imagine is an acceptable thickness. Areas that were thicker around the outside of the window frame have all hardened under the Kerdi-band. Before I start the tile (probably large format) I'll double check that I'm using a...
  4. Determinedkvb

I'm not sure that I like the Kerdi-band so much. The window is the main reason for needing the KB, but I'm not sure I like it for horizontal joints. The thinset was a little bit thick when I started (mixed 5lbs). I read that I was supposed to go for 'peanut-butter" consistency. I did the long...
  5. Determinedkvb

OK. I am planning to treat all joints with Versabond and Kerdi-band. I am planning to bond the Kerdi-band directly to the window with the Kerdi-fix across to the cementboard. How to trim out the window is now in question because with KB right at the windowframe, that means I could have tile...
  6. Determinedkvb

Yes, the wall was furred out. This also allowed me to shim the furring to get the wall flat. I am bringing the sides in as well to overlap the flange. I am still working on this. The tub was centered. This actually took the showerhead a tiny bit further from the window. It is really only 1 inch...
  7. Determinedkvb

The Cement board is installed (on the outside wall - so far) over the tub flange 1/4 inch above tub ledge. I put silicone on the inside of the CB where it rests against the flange. The 1/4 inch gap will be filled with Kerdi-fix. The other reason for "needing" the Kerdi-band is the window...
  8. Determinedkvb

I got the Hydrodefense because I did not want to have to "paint" Redgard everywhere (how much do I need, etc). I had the thought that I would put "squares" at the screws. I am getting the Kerdi-fix to use at the edge of the board where it meets the tub, etc - so I need that stuff anyway...
  9. Determinedkvb

How do you secure in place a polymarble vanity sink/top?

Going by my experience having a simple stone top on an island installed . . . Shims inside between top and cabinet to level. Then Silicone around inside edges. Adhesion could be reinforced with small blocks of wood added at corners. Silicone holds but allows for removal without tearing...
  10. Determinedkvb

Diy shower/bath enclosure, and I'm doing niches that will be behind the cabinet side in the kitchen wall. I am trying do do what makes the most sense to waterproof all corners. I've read/watched enough to confuse myself. Kerdi-band has been suggested as a good product and this is what I was...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks