Search results

1. Sassnak

copper drain pipe leak at fitting

I already removed it and replaced it with the length of ABS.
  2. Sassnak

I have some family coming today to stay with me for a couple of weeks on short notice and needed to get this working. I could not figure out how to cut that top pipe straight and didn't want to end up making it worse, so I put this together as a temporary fix. I am assuming this is not to code...
  3. Sassnak

copper flange & 90 replacement problem

Thanks everyone for your help! I did have to cut it down to 1", so we'll see if it holds up. I completely forgot when originally starting this thread that the original flange was sitting almost 3/4" proud of the finished floor, so I have a feeling that if this doesn't hold up (really hoping it...
  4. Sassnak

Thanks for making me consider this again! I got one of those first but had issues with the flange fitting into it and so switched to the 3x3. And since I'm new to this I did not consider that when using a 3x3 hub x spigot that the flange will sit higher on the outside than it sits on the inside...
  5. Sassnak

Is that my only option? I don't have the skills to do that which is why I wanted to go with plastic. I am having some guests arrive at the end of the week (it was a last-minute decision that I am accommodating for a family emergency reason) that will be here for a couple of weeks and was really...
  6. Sassnak

If I bring the 90 up high enough to connect to the existing copper, the ring is about 1.5" above the finished floor so it is more than a little bit. I don't know why they put the copper so high either, there is plenty of vertical space they could've used and didn't.
  7. Sassnak

So in the process of narrowing down a different leak, I figured out that one of my toilet flanges had a slight leak as well. I have copper drain pipes and the 90 under the toilet went straight into the flange. I have cut off the 3" copper on the horizontal area intending to replace the elbow and...
  8. Sassnak

Good tip, not sure I would have thought of that!
  9. Sassnak

Excellent, I do have a sawzall so I can just grab one of those blades for it. I'm cautiously optimistic that I can manage it without needing to cut the water lines - left and right yes for sure, the top will be the most difficult but I think there might be just enough space for it. I do have an...
  10. Sassnak

Nope, just one full bath up there and that's it. And wow yes that is expensive! I figured any replacements wouldn't be copper due to copper prices these days. I suppose if I did replace it with PVC I wouldn't need to solder anything, so I may actually be able to tackle it myself which would be...
  11. Sassnak

Well I first noticed it because there were some drips making it to the bottom near the floor. It is a very minor drip but when water is run down the drain, a few drops slide down from there. So for sure there is a leak. I ran water down it while looking and that is also definitely where it is...
  12. Sassnak

So my 1960s house has copper drains. By chance, I noticed a slow drip at the bottom of the main stack when I had part of the wall open for something else, and after opening up the wall further up I found it is a leak at the fitting. It is pretty obvious in the pic where it has been leaking. Am I...
  13. Sassnak

Small leak from toilet down drainpipe

It took me a long time to get back to this (we had some other house projects that took priority, then I had a minor family emergency that meant I was out of town last month, and I can't easily move the toilet by myself so had to wait until my husband could help) but I finally got a chance to...
  14. Sassnak

I will give that a try, thanks!
  15. Sassnak

Yup the house was built in 1964 and the drain pipe is indeed copper. Would you suspect an issue where the flange is attached to the drain pipe, or somewhere else on the pipe? I only have the lowest ~2' of the pipe exposed, I'd need to cut open wood wall paneling to see the rest - which I will do...
  16. Sassnak

I am having a very frustrating problem that I hope someone here can help me with! I installed a Toto Aquia (II, maybe?) toilet in our upstairs bathroom about 4 years ago. We like it a lot. However, I was doing some tiling in our basement this week, and when I removed a wall panel to get it out...
  17. Sassnak

Tiling around rusty old basement floor drain

Thanks, I took a look around online and did find an epoxy-coated cast iron grate that is exactly the right size, so I've ordered it. I will clean off the parts of the drain I can get to and maybe try a rust converter on it - pretty sure I have some sitting out in the shed, so it'd be easy enough...
  18. Sassnak

Thanks, I'm comfortable with the actual tiling just trying to decide on if I should keep the slope or flatten it out since the slope isn't terribly useful and the drain doesn't get used normally anyway. But if I flatten it, then I have to raise the drain a bit. I really hate that water wants to...
  19. Sassnak

That is pretty much what I was thinking of doing for it, I just wasn't sure if it was actually a good idea or not lol. Good to know it worked for you! As far as sloping the floor goes, I think it'd be more work than it's worth. I have water sensors under everything that could possibly leak, so...
  20. Sassnak

So I've been working on tiling about half of my basement, and I'm finally at the last room which is the utility room. It has an old rusty floor drain that I need to decide what to do with. Despite the rust it still drains fine and I really don't want to have to break into the slab. The main...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks