Search results

1. Paul Blakely

Sewer gas from bathroom vanity

Well lads, thanks for the advice to take it apart and clean the trap! I was astounded by how gross it was. I'm sure that fixed the problem - and it was something I hadn't even considered. I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!!
  2. Paul Blakely

Sewer gas from bathroom vanity

After 4 to 5 years trouble-free, we're now frequently smelling sewer gas from the bathroom vanity sink. The only thing I can think of is that the p-trap must be siphoning out. Is it because the 13" length from the bottom of the sink to the bottom of the p-trap is too long? It's been 6 years...
  3. Paul Blakely

Filling water lines and tanks for the first time

I've removed the upside down PRV and will install it with the proper orientation, after cutting back a bit of the pex on each end so the sharkbite can bite into new tube. I'm still mystified by the water from the city shutting off while I'm trying to fill the system. If that isn't caused by the...
  4. Paul Blakely

Filling water lines and tanks for the first time

Thanks to much assistance on this board almost a year ago, especially to Wayne Whitney. I'm about ready to move into our new house. I've held off filling the waterlines until now, tho I did do an air pressure test on the lines maybe 8 months ago and it looked good prior to installing the...
  5. Paul Blakely

Venting a double vanity

YAY!!!! Thanks for the quick response, John. Really appreciate it.
  6. Paul Blakely

Venting a double vanity

In the attached photo of venting a double vanity, I see at least one mistake: I should have used a tee instead of a wye where the two vents join to go vertical. And I've also seen a more efficient way of doing this: a double wye from the vent stack at the level of the two drain outlets instead...
  7. Paul Blakely

Pressure testing my waterlines

I thought it was standard operating procedure to do an air test first to avoid a mess. But since I haven't insulated and can still see all the lines, wet test may be the most efficient way to proceed. Thanks for the response. I was looking at my email to see if anyone had responded didn't...
  8. Paul Blakely

Pressure testing my waterlines

I'm finally getting around to doing an air pressure test on the PEX waterlines I've installed. I probably should have tied the hot and cold together before running them into the empty hot water tank, but this should work anyway. Except I'm having a very frustrating time trying to identify why I...
  9. Paul Blakely

Can I use 6/3UF W/G outdoor instead of Indoor 6/3NM w/G ?

Thanks Wayne! I ended up using the 6/3 UF and it wasn't too bad stripping that extra insulation away. Just gotta head over to the hardware store to get some super-sized cable staples to tack the cable to the bottom of the floor joists in the crawl space. And by the way, I finished swapping out...
  10. Paul Blakely

Can I use 6/3UF W/G outdoor instead of Indoor 6/3NM w/G ?

Looking to run 6/3 gauge for a 50 amp electric range. 50' of the outdoor is $50 less than comparable indoor, but all the insulation around the wires looks like a nuisance to deal try to get it into the panel and the range receptacle. Is it within code and/or advisable to do it with the outdoor?
  11. Paul Blakely

A few rough-in questions

Well Wayne, I finally get it. I read your posts several times before I realized the source of my confusion. I wasn't picking up that the 3x3x1.5 reducing san-tee was a STREET. I didn't know there was such a thing and in fact, I had to go to a second plumbing supply store to get one. Thanks for...
  12. Paul Blakely

A few rough-in questions

I think I'm ready to start cutting, but I want to make sure I've understood your second option, Wayne. Again in the attached photo, I would cut out the first san-tee, the one that currently has the bath drain running into it. that san-tee can be replaced with a 3x3x3 wye that would have only...
  13. Paul Blakely

A few rough-in questions

You da man, Wayne! I will try this proposal and let you know how it goes. Appreciate you, Paul
  14. Paul Blakely

A few rough-in questions

Wayne, you are a much appreciated God-send! I can see that the vanities drain connection can be made just as you suggest. The one I can't get my head around is the tub/vent/WC solution. I had purchased a wye and street san-tee as a possibility, but I couldn't really determine the height without...
  15. Paul Blakely

A few rough-in questions

Well that sketch I had provided earlier did not show what I had proposed to do following the toilet and shower hookup and I appear to have messed up by using a couple of san-tees rather than wyes. Inspector told me today I have two san-tees placed on their side and I should have used wyes. ...
  16. Paul Blakely

A few rough-in questions

Thanks folks, I appreciate the advice. I'll go with one expansion tank on the cold water line between the two tanks. I plan to have quite a few shut offs throughout and will remember to kill the breakers on both tanks whenever I have to switch them out. These days, it looks like lifespan on...
  17. Paul Blakely

A few rough-in questions

I can't believe it's been a month since I had to postpone work on the venting to do some HVAC and electrical work. But now moving again on the plumbing. Two questions: 1. In running the 3" vent to the roof, the hole through the top plates was so snug, we had to hammer it thru the hole we cut out...
  18. Paul Blakely

A few rough-in questions

This is the section I found and called about it. P3111.1 Type of fixtures. Add exception: Residential food waste grinders shall be allowed to discharge into a combination waste and vent system provided an air admittance valve is installed. P3113.1 Size of vents. Add sentence to paragraph: At...
  19. Paul Blakely

A few rough-in questions

Wayne, I like the wye suggestion! You have just about designed my whole scheme now and it's looking pretty good. BTW, as I was looking up the Columbia, Missouri code to make sure an AAV was acceptable in this jurisdiction, I just happened to spy a requirement that every system must have at...
  20. Paul Blakely

A few rough-in questions

I do have one cleanout on a 3" vertical going into the main 4" that runs along the North side of the house. I thought it would probably be a good idea to have another cleanout at the main bath, in the Southeast corner, which is a LONG 70', 3" lateral run of about 70', before it drops to the 4"...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks