Search results

1. Grinch

Drain pipe clogging in winter.....

Here's my problem, I bought a country house in 2018 and in 2019 dug around the foundation to replace the drain tile to fix a wet basement, with success. I don't think the previous owner had issues with waste water draining properly to the septic tank as he had the cleanout wye open to accept...
  2. Grinch

Remove Air from system after Air Injection Iron Filter

It's been a while since I posted about my issue with air spitting. A few months after posting I noticed the air spitting from the hot water taps began to reduce. Now the problem has gone away. I haven't noticed any increase in water staining but was wondering if this would indicate that some...
  3. Grinch

Remove Air from system after Air Injection Iron Filter

I'm having issues with air spitting out of my HW taps after installing an AIO iron filter (Rainfresh CAFO948). I'm thinking of adding a 3" loop with a bleeder valve like what Scott Walter has installed, but will contact the manufacturer first. . There is one thing that isn't clear to me and is...
  4. Grinch

Sydney smart II,a poor Northern toilet?

If you are talking about the 7/8 connection that wasn't the problem. The leak was at the coupling nut/threaded shank, that area wasn't irregular.
  5. Grinch

Yeah, a shame. It would've been a no-brainer type of repair if the company that made the Brass Craft valve had a more robust QC procedure..... I took the BC valve back to the Rona store I bought it from, they told me "too bad so sad" and pointed to the 1-800 number on the box the valve came in. :(
  6. Grinch

I had re & re the flush valve's 7/8" connection 3x, that connection was good / water tight. I went as far as using pipe dope on the union nut thread's supply line but no solution.... The drip would only start when I opened the supply valve & the tank was empty but stop when the valve was...
  7. Grinch

This toilet developed a slow leak at the union nut supply tube/fill valve connection under the tank. So as the fill valve was brand new and the supply tube was old I replaced the supply tube, no luck....the leak is at the fill valve apparently.I didn't over tighten the union nut. I'm wondering...
  8. Grinch

I remembered before installing the new valve that I had installed a household air induction clear iron filter last year and may have got some of the media in the water pipes so I flushed the pipe supplying the toilet in question really well.... PS; And I thought I'd say that other than the...
  9. Grinch

The "cottage" is my principal residence, this bathroom is an unheated powder room that only sees use April to October, so the sink faucets & toilet supply are shut off as described. What threw me was the old school ballcock/valve assembly went merrily through at least 20 years of casual...
  10. Grinch

While searching the web for information on Caroma warranties I found a list of conditions that void the warranty. One condition listed was "extreme temperatures".... I'm off to the hardware store today to see what can be done.
  11. Grinch

Last summer (2021) I installed a Caroma sydney smart II in a cottage washroom that gets drained every winter, and is left unheated. It's in Eastern Ontario and the winter temps drop to -25C all the time. I added RV antifreeze to the toilet in October as was done with the old toilet, shutting the...
  12. Grinch

Standpipe clearance for basement drain

It's been -20 to-30C for the last few weeks so I pulled the 4" pvc pipe away from the house at the point were the sump outlet exits the house to see how much ice had built up inside. ( the 1-1/2" abs pipe just fits loosely inside the 4" PVC for about 4 inches) No ice buildup at all over a 10...
  13. Grinch

I've finished the routing of some new 1 1/2" abs pipe with two plastic ball valves to allow the sump pump to handle the flush/backwash of my iron filter/water softener machines.If I find my direct drain to daylight freezes up in -20/-30 deg weather I'll just divert it to the septic tank using...
  14. Grinch

That 'big honker pipe' is only an inch lower than the one (the same) shown in my first two photos, the 2 points shown are only about 7 feet apart. I don't think I'm giving up the cleanout plug, per 'se. If it is needed I can use a strap/pipe wrench to turn it out as I will have a Mission...
  15. Grinch

The drain pipe doesn't exit the foundation wall low enough to allow a standpipe above it unfortunately. However I did modify the clean-out plug (which is lower)by drilling it out to accept an ABS 1 1/2" pipe "nipple"I made up. (JB weld is my friend here). So I may add a ptrap & standpipe to...
  16. Grinch

How to replace Moen shower cartridge

Pulling this cartridge was my housewarming gift from my "new" house 4 years ago. No hot water, just like yours. A real pain to remove, took me hours and when I went to the hardware store to buy a replacement with the mangled cartridge in hand,the clerk must've felt sorry for me as he processed...
  17. Grinch

Hi, I have an issue with my water softener/iron filter backwash lines. I am on a septic tank and my WS/filter are in the basement .I want to splice a wye adapter into the drain to install a p trap but code dictates a 18" standpipe. The 3" drain is hung from the floor joists as in the picture...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks