Search results

1. Zach

New brass closet flange on lead drain

I've recently purchased a new old house (1924). In one upstairs bathroom, the toilet was perched upon some 3/4" thick wood shims. I figured I had better figure out why, so I pulled it and discovered a previous owner's repair job. He was a carpenter / woodworker, and apparently not a plumber...
  2. Zach

Powder room plumbing

I am currently renovating a first floor powder room. The room was an addition built in the 50's onto my 1920's house. I plan on replacing the lead drains with pvc (highlighted in green below), and replacing the blue highlighted cast iron with pvc as well, as there is zero slope in that section...
  3. Zach

Foundation cracks

I've noticed some recent settling on one side of my 1929 home. There are a couple of new cracks in the concrete block foundation, and some cracks in the brick mortar on both the front and back of the house. No recent changes have been made to the house, yard, etc. What is the best way to...
  4. Zach

Replacing galvanized. Pipe sizing q.

I'm replacing some galvanized pipes in my house. I'll have to verify, but I believe my meter size is 5/8. I have 3/4" PVC supply running the 30 or so feet from meter to house. Inside the house I have 3/4" gal which I'd like to replace. I have 2 1/2 baths, and about 32 fixture units. Is...
  5. Zach

Repiping - Flange too high

I'm repiping a lead drain with PVC. I have a 4" CI wye, with a brass ferrule extending from the hub. From there, I have a 4" mission coupling, a short piece of 4" PVC, a street 1/16 bend and a standard 1/16 bend, a 1/4 street bend, and then the flange. The flange fits inside a 1 3/4" tall...
  6. Zach

Street bend into no-hub coupling?

I am repiping the drain for my lav, back to the stack. The stack is CI, with a 2" san tee. From the bell of the san tee, is a brass ferrule (I melted the lead off of it.) I'll be using a no-hub reducing coupling to join the brass ferrule to the 1 1/2" PVC for the drain. My question is...
  7. Zach

Cast Iron, Lead Drain, & Brass Ferrule How-To

I wanted to extend a thanks to everyone on the forum for providing me with some valuable advice. Last year, I purchased a 1928 house with all original plumbing. Without getting into too much boring detail, I decided to remove a couple of lead drains from a 2nd floor half bath. The lead was...
  8. Zach

Broken Closet Flange

I have a broken cast iron flange attached to a lead drain, which then attaches to cast iron. I had a plumber come out to give me an estimate on knocking off the flange and leading a new one. He suggested cutting the lead pipe in half, using a Fernco coupling, and finishing off the drain and...
  9. Zach

Pipe Sizing for Half Bath

I will be running Type L soft copper for both hot and cold supply to a half bath on my second floor. I'm replacing the existing 3/4" galvanized. The total distance of the run will be less than 40'. I am planning on using 1/2" for hot, as the lav will be the only fixture on the run. As for...
  10. Zach

Cast iron DWV

Another question about my 1928 home. I'm working on a currently gutted half bath on the 2nd floor. DWV is currently cast iron. The standpipe runs up to the bathroom, horizontally to the toilet, horizontilly to the lav, and then vertically to the roof for vent. The bathroom has had problems...
  11. Zach

Replacing galvanized in a tight space

My 1928 home has galvanized pipe throughout. I have gutted a half bath on the second floor to repair some old water damage (leaking window, leaking cast-iron toilet flange). While I have the walls and floor ripped out, I would like to replace the galvanized pipe with copper. The pipes...
  12. Zach

Basement Washing Machine

I've purchased a 1929 home with a basement, and would like to locate the laundry down there. The previous owners drained via a standpipe w/ p trap toa floor drain. I would like to move the washer to a more convenient location on the other side of the basement. There is no drain there, but the...
  13. Zach

Warped, cracked flange question..

I am the new owner of a 1929 home and am rebuilding a 2nd floor half bath that has had previous water damage. It appears the toilet has leaked and rotted the subfloor. The PO replaced the subfloor (and did a shoddy job), but the repair is also damaged. The toilet flange apears to be cast iron...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks