Search results

1. Don Zorn

Ball Valve vs. Gate Valve

This is general question on which type of valve is more reliable. On the advice of a plumbing associate at my local HD, I soldered a "sweat type" ball valve on the 3/4" cold water supply to my hot water heater. After turning on the water I noticed a small pin hole leak in the valve itself...
  2. Don Zorn

Soldering copper with dripping water.

When soldering copper in the basement, I shut off the main water supply line to the house and open up all taps in the house, but the water seems to keep dripping forever - making it impossible to solder. The only thing that I have found to alleviate this problem is to stuff some compacted...
  3. Don Zorn

Hot Water Heater

I am in the market for a new hot water heater. I currently have a Rheem Rudd 40 gallon gas direct vent (model RQD40-38M). I got 5 years out of the first Rheem Rudd before the tank started leaking and 12 years out the second Rheem Rudd - and the tank is just now starting to leak. Is there any...
  4. Don Zorn

Anti-Scald Valve

As of Sept. 2004, any plumbers installing a new hot water heater in our area are required to install an anti-scald valve which is set at 120F to protect the homeowner from potential burns. The valve costs about $200 Cdn. Just curious if this is a requirement in your area and if so, are these...
  5. Don Zorn

Tub Drain Stopper Replacement

Hello, I would like to replace my existing bathtub drain stopper with a new one because it is difficult to rotate the knob which raises and lowers the stopper (impossible if your hand are wet). Have taken it apart in the past and lubed it up, but the problem returns after a few months...
  6. Don Zorn

Caulk toilet to floor

I have been told that it is required to caulk the toilet to the floor after setting it in order to prevent sewer gas from getting into the home if the toilet seal fails. Is this true? I have also been told to leave a couple inches "uncaulked" at the back so that if the toilet seal starts...
  7. Don Zorn

Toilet Flange Extender Thickness

Hello, I set ceramic tile yesterday on top of concrete in our basement washroom. The surface of the floor tile is now flush with the top surface of the ABS toilet closet flange. Local HD carries a closet flange extender kit with 1/4" and 1/2" thickness extenders for $12. I measured the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks