Search results

1. Patrick R Wunsch

Draining a Softner Outside in Cold Climates?

I like the idea of a back up for if the exterior drain ever freezes. Your idea of a secondary pipe running to the septic makes sense. I may not be able to yet this fall, but I'll need an ejector pit in the basement to eventually discharge the kitchen sink and tankless water heater condensate...
  2. Patrick R Wunsch

Thanks for the suggestion WorthFlorida. My only concern would be of some type of pump failure while I'm gone where I'd stand a chsnce of getting 75 gallons of backwashwater every 3 days. It's a cottage we'd like to use periodically in the winter and I'd keep the cottage heated over the winter...
  3. Patrick R Wunsch

Thanks Reach4. Would this freeze guard be similar to a vacuum breaker? I would place it where it first exits the rim joist/siding before directing it into a pitched 4" PVC pipe that'll be run underground. . Discharging right to daylight could also be an option as that side of the cottage...
  4. Patrick R Wunsch

This forum has been a lifesaver for me do far and I hope I can pick your brains one more time! I have an iron filter (10"x44") that I'm hoping to discharge to the outside here in northern Wisconsin. The filter uses about 75 gallons each backwash about once every 3 days. Where the discharge...
  5. Patrick R Wunsch

HELP! Significant Iron Problem with Lots of Supposed Solutions

Thanks, I appreciate the info. This manufacturer claims their Katalox system only requires 5gpm backwash @ 75 gallons per backwash which, with my numbers, they'll preset for every other day. In the end, I have no idea whether this will work or not as they're all believable to a novice like me.
  6. Patrick R Wunsch

Thanks for all the info but I'm stuck at 6gpm from my well pump.
  7. Patrick R Wunsch

I should've summized my long winded question, but essentially, all I'm asking is if the AIO system with Katalox Light would work for my water? Thanks! Quote Reply
  8. Patrick R Wunsch

I think I understand. Is having the ozone necessary or recommended because of my #'s. I'm presuming that AIO with Katalox isn't sufficient? Thanks, I'm just having difficulty understanding all of this.
  9. Patrick R Wunsch

Gotcha, so you would recommend ozone or hydrogen peroxide injection if using AIO with Katalox Light?
  10. Patrick R Wunsch

One lab test states .594 and the other .604. Unfortunately I didn't write down whether it was ppm or what standard. It was noted I had elevated levels of iron and manganese on both reports though.
  11. Patrick R Wunsch

Upon further review, it states .604. Sorry for the confusion.
  12. Patrick R Wunsch

I've got 7.5ppm iron in the water at my cottage. It's been this way for 20 years and we never dealt with it and instead opted for bottled drinking water and weekly cleaning of rusty stains on our fixtures. After a recent remodel I'm finally ready to address the issue and have talked to 6...
  13. Patrick R Wunsch

Draining for a Washing Machine Pan?

Thoughts on a dedicated line straight to the drain with no trap but using the SureSeal fitting you just described?
  14. Patrick R Wunsch

See my response to Turtles Revenge's post below.
  15. Patrick R Wunsch

I understand what you're saying but the two nearby traps are already tight within an 8" joist so there's really not much of a tailpiece to connect to. I could certainly put a trap under the pan and hook into a wye entering the main 2" horizontal drain but I'd worry the pan wouldn't get much...
  16. Patrick R Wunsch

Thanks Jeff. I should've mentioned but I have no plumbing fixtures anywhere below this pan. There's a nearby main 2" horizontal run. There are also p-traps on a nearby shower and toilet. Except for these 2 p-traps, the 2" main drain run and down the line, the main stack, I have no fixtures...
  17. Patrick R Wunsch

Does anyone know the appropriate way to drain a washing machine pan, particularly in a cold climate? I've seen conflicting info when researching this issue. Some recommend draining direct to the outside. Some say tie into existing DWV. Others say no p-trap needed. My scenario is its a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks