Search results

1. Howard M Emerson

My kingdom for another 1/2" from the wall

Here's the finished Toto wc siliconed in place, and a couple of shots showing the best thing about electricians rubber tape...... Normally I do the other side of the seam, but it was easily cleaned off with a razor blade.....it's white on white, so not a big deal. Best, Howard Emerson
  2. Howard M Emerson

My idea for using the Ferco Wax-Free worked like a charm! The offset it allowed gave a straight down drop in, and I still have a gap in back of the toilet! It ended up with an 11.5” center to the bolts despite the flange being 11.125” center. I left the bolt loose because I wasn’t sure what...
  3. Howard M Emerson

Low oval toliet

By 'oval' do you mean round front or elongated? HE
  4. Howard M Emerson

Hi Reach, I believe I have a good shot at fixing this tomorrow, thanks to a Fernco Wax-Free unit that I spent some time modifying. The way it mounts on the horn of the toilet allows almost 1/2" forwards, or backwards, placement. Prior to setting it on the horn (with its tenacious glue coating)...
  5. Howard M Emerson

I did a better job of measuring it and it's basically 2 & 7/8". I'm quite certain it's cast iron, in fact I have a magnet handy.......Yep, absolutely cast iron. HE The pipe is absolutely cast iron, as a magnet grabbed it. It's actually 2 & 7/8" ID. I think what you're describing is a gear...
  6. Howard M Emerson

Understood. I don't need much, but it has to work perfectly, and I won't use wax anymore. Onward, Howard
  7. Howard M Emerson

Hi TR, Here's a better picture showing the hub at the end of the sweep L (pardon my terminology if I get it wrong). You can see the 'cement' (which I would assume would be lead & oakum) holding the short piece of pipe. and then the item I believe you're thinking may be a compression closet...
  8. Howard M Emerson

Reach, Thank you for the reply. I believe the 'side wall' you're seeing is not near the toilet, actually. Here's another view: In any case....by all indications I should be able to do with with a Fernco Wax Free Seal for 3" pipe. The existing flange is actually 1/4" below the tile, and with a...
  9. Howard M Emerson

Hello all, Long story short: Almost 30 years ago I had a plumber turn a toilet sideways to allow shower chair access for my paralyzed sister-in-law. Here's a picture of the cast iron flange/pipe that is 11 & 1/8" from the wall. Here is the overall picture for context: Another shot: The...
  10. Howard M Emerson

Mini Split for a sunroom

Jonah, I've used the dehumidification setting a couple of times, but frankly it just gets the room really cold. Just setting the unit on Cooling and adjusting the temperature works out just fine. I'm currently working on what used to be a ground floor apartment built in the garage area of the...
  11. Howard M Emerson

Bad pressure/flow on 1 hose bib.

No, its an elbow. Here's the frost free I bought. It's a 3/4 x 1/2" pex. Here's the elbow I replaced the straight connector with: I did make a point of popping the pex out of it, and filling the 5 gallon pail. It was faster than it was going through the frost free, but not nearly as fast as...
  12. Howard M Emerson

I'm using B. That's what my plumber redid the majority of the house with. He left me enough blue and red to do my master bathroom renovation (I did that with Shark Bite press fits) and it's what I've redone the apartment area with (using cinch clamps and a Ryobi Cinch Clamp tool) since gutting...
  13. Howard M Emerson

I did check the existing threads, and I'm pretty sure mine is different. I'm actually just looking for some confirmation to my conclusions, but I'm also here to be learned:-) In our home 2 of the existing hose bibs are both plumbed 1/2" PEX. They come off the 3/4" PEX at varying distances, but...
  14. Howard M Emerson

Avoiding slab shower base leakage

The shower base passed the drain leak test with flying colors. Having accidentally dropped the 'wrench' that comes with the drain in prior installs, I figured that a magnet would be prudent: And instead of capping the stub outs with Shark bite caps I figured I'd install 1/4 stops so I could...
  15. Howard M Emerson

Jeff, I just made a point of making sure that there is clearance. I think it's going to work out well. The framing is quite tight to the tile flange, so aside from finally leveling in the mortar mix there shouldn't be any more than a 1/16" difference. The compression rubber sleeve gives a...
  16. Howard M Emerson

Hello Jeff, No, it's no where near flush with the concrete. It's about 2.5" below the surface, which I think is in my favor. I had 'toyed' with the idea of off-setting the drain to maximize my layout, but it would have required bending or casting my own PVC pipe. I feel very confident with the...
  17. Howard M Emerson

Hi Jeff, The pipe already slips into the doughnut. I centered the new base with the existing pipe precisely where it needs to be. Breaking up a concrete floor is not an option, so I made concessions based on the existing drain location. Here's a couple of pictures showing the base exactly where...
  18. Howard M Emerson

Hello all, I'm renovating a slab bathroom that previously had a 1-piece shower wall, base & ceiling. The old base had leaked, and I'm certain the culprit was the matching flange that held the strainer/grill. It was cracked across the top where it fit into the old base recess area. The majority...
  19. Howard M Emerson

90 degree side outlet elbow in corner?

Hello Wayne, All that's left to do now is the san-tee/riser for the kitchen sink, but the hard part is done, and I thank you for your patience and experience! Best regards, Howard Emerson
  20. Howard M Emerson

90 degree side outlet elbow in corner?

Hi Wayne, Yes, the stub up out of the concrete floor is 1 & 1/2". The prior owners had the garage converted to an apartment for mom, and they spared no cost cutting technique..... I now understand all that you're telling me, and it makes me realize how some of my guitar students must feel when...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks