Search results

1. puddi

Attaching vent to back side of closet bend

Thanks for the prompt reply, Terry, Yes, I figured that likely wouldn’t be OK. The toilet is upstairs, above an open area. The drain has to run horizontally forward from the toilet until it can turn down at an exterior wall about 11 feet from the trap. Conveniently, the floor joists run this...
  2. puddi

Attaching vent to back side of closet bend

Hello everyone I have a configuration where the toilet drain runs in the bay between two floor joists in the “forward” direction - that is, the direction you’d be facing when sitting on the toilet - out to the main sewer. This means that a vent rising vertically from the drain within 6’ of the...
  3. puddi

Electrical Panels in wet locations

Since an electrical panel cannot be in a bathroom because it is considered a wet location, why is it OK to place the electrical panel on the exterior wall of a house?
  4. puddi

Electrical Panel in lavatory

Thanks!
  5. puddi

Electrical Panel in lavatory

Can an electrical panel be located in a lavatory? I know a bathroom is not allowed. Seems like it's OK to locate the panel in a space with just a toilet, and also OK to locate it in a space with just a sink; ergo sink + toilet should be OK too.
  6. puddi

Wet vent question

I occasionally listen to audio of Supreme Court arguments for cases I think interesting. Often they involve "discovering" the intent of Congress when it wrote some legislation or another back in the 1960s. The decisions frequently hang on the presumed significance 0f the presence of a word in...
  7. puddi

Wet vent question

Thanks Wayne! The distinction between "required minimum waste pipe size" and "required minimum pipe size" escaped me. Your interpretation makes sense. One wonders why they didn't throw in the word "vent", though. As written it's pretty ambiguous.
  8. puddi

Wet vent question

Suppose a shower and a sink are the only two fixtures connected to a vertical 2" pipe that serves as both drain and vent. The sink trap arm attaches to the 2" pipe above the shower trap arm, so the section between the two inflows is technically a wet vent section. According to 908.1.1 (size)...
  9. puddi

Direct vent vs top vent recessed furnace

Thanks for the reply. But... I'm not permitted to just put an elbow on the top-vent furnace and side-vent it out the wall. The vertical vent is required. So what is it that makes the side-vent OK in one case but not the other? It's more than just the geometry of the vent location.
  10. puddi

Direct vent vs top vent recessed furnace

I'm going to install a wall-recessed furnace and would appreciate some information. I'm puzzled by the very different venting requirements of the "top vent" vs "direct vent" recessed furnaces. From the names alone, the only difference is the source of combustion air. But there's obviously...
  11. puddi

Wet vent vs. Dry vent UPC question

Thanks, that makes sense. I thought the above-centerline requirement had something to do with the free entry of vent air being hindered by the water level in the drain pipe.
  12. puddi

Wet vent vs. Dry vent UPC question

Hi I'm in California, and Sec. 905.2 says that a vent pipe connecting to a horizontal waste pipe must have its entry point above the centerline of the waste pipe. However.. there's no such requirement for a connecting waste pipe. So, what if the connecting pipe is a wet vent? If it's...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks