Search results

1. mbartosik

RPZ vs check valve

Rpz I need to stop back flow of potentially dirty water from the irrigation system into the heat pump system. So I should use at least a check valve. If you connect an irrigation system to a domestic water supply a check valve is not enough. In the United Kingdom they used to require an...
  2. mbartosik

RPZ vs check valve

Since my well pump was unfortunately a little oversized (3/4HP when 1/2HP would have done), I am going to use it to drive irrigation also. The well is currently only used for ground source heat pump NOT drinking/house water. Should I use an RPZ valve ($180) to separate heat pump from...
  3. mbartosik

pressure in return well (for heat pump)

Thanks Gary, I'll have a word with the well driller, and if he does not have a strong reason for not doing so, then I'll fit a small vent hole in the top of the return well, and see if I can drop the pressure further. I'll post my results here. So far I've saved about 800W of pumping...
  4. mbartosik

constant flow control rather than constant pressure

Phil, smart analogy! Made me laugh :D I read that Franklin swapped from using a pressure transducer because they have too much lag, but that's a whole new topic. Having a little lag wouldn't hurt for a heat pump, but for a house supply it could be an annoyance when taking a shower. So maybe...
  5. mbartosik

pressure in return well (for heat pump)

I'm still trying to optimize the pumping for my ground source heat pump. I'm wondering if I would likely have some pressure in the return well which would cause the pump to work harder. The return well pipe goes down to the water level, and the return well head is sealed. I'm wondering if...
  6. mbartosik

In the case of the flow meter that I linked to it appears able to support multiple trigger levels. I understand the alternatives, and my end system will be: Variable speed drive with two pressure switches controlled via by relay. Giving two constant pressures. This system will work nicely...
  7. mbartosik

For a ground source heat pump you need constant flow (not pressure). For multiple stages of heat pump (in parallel) you need variable flow (or staged flow). With a constant pressure system like Franklin Monodrive (variable speed drive) it is possible to regulate pressure, and then use...
  8. mbartosik

Water Source Heat Pump Deep Pump Sizing

I've already saved the $288 per year (850W) by better tuning the pressure and flow, largely thanks to this forum. The question is whether I can save more, I suspect that the most that I'd be able to save while the pump is running is another 250W (half the 500W currently). Anyway I've learnt a...
  9. mbartosik

In my region (North East USA) 2 x 200W DC solar panels will generate about 440KWh per year. It is generally more economical to reduce demand than to add solar panels. Which is why I'm keen to get the demand down. My point was that dropping the power demand by 850W was something significant...
  10. mbartosik

I might use two switches, however, then the problem becomes the bladder. The MonoDrive manual says to set the bladder pressure at 70% of the switch pressure. That means 18 PSI on switch set bladder at 13 PSI 35 PSI on switch set bladder at 25 PSI I don't have a way to change the bladder...
  11. mbartosik

Here are some results of the input power saved by adjusting flow and pressure: At 55 PSI and 15 GPM the current draw was 5.2A i.e. 1.25KW At 55 PSI and 7 GPM current draw is about 2.8A i.e. 672W At 45 PSI and 7 GPM current draw is about 2.4A i.e. 576W At 40 PSI and 7 GPM current draw is about...
  12. mbartosik

My original plan (until I found some of your posts on this forum) was to do some fine tuning of the power required by the well pump vs the improvement in heat transfer due to higher fluid velocity (making compressor work less hard). That is to say adjusting flow without concern for pressure, but...
  13. mbartosik

Thanks Bob. Your post requires careful reading but is a lot of help. Care is required for accurate understanding (this is meant to be praise not a critism). Your comments are most useful. I am sad to say that I spoke with 3 well drillers and they all proposed about the same system just at...
  14. mbartosik

I just spoke to the well driller. He thought that the electrical energy required was proportional to the volume of water moved (i.e. gpm) and unrelated to the pressure. I explained that I believed otherwise (and so does physics). He said that I should try reducing the pressure to about 30...
  15. mbartosik

The bouncing at low pressure really makes the MonoDrive a pain for GSHP. I think that I am going to have the well guy come back and reduce the pressure, while measuring the pressure at the entrance to the return well. At the entrance to the return well the pressure only needs to be minimal...
  16. mbartosik

A possible alternative (maybe better for my system which already has a MonoDrive). To have two pressure sensors, one at a lower pressure that is okay for the heat pump (not wasteful) and one at a higher pressure for irrigration. The demand from the irrigation would use a relay to swap the...
  17. mbartosik

Valveman, as I was reading your post I was thinking that sounds like a system that I could use. I'll think about it more too (not like I'm an expert by a long way).
  18. mbartosik

Valveman, thanks for this post, it is enlightening although saddening to learn that about the only thing right with my system is likely the two holes in the ground. You said: "Intermittent being taking a shower or filling a washing machine. Any long term water uses such as heat pumps and...
  19. mbartosik

The MonoDrive ramps down (30 to 60Hz) i.e. about 1800 to about 3600 rpm. The SubDrive ramps between 30 and 80 Hz i.e. about 1800 to about 4800 rpm (using more HP). So for me the MonoDrive is the more suitable, but of course that's if it is worth having variable speed at all. I think that my...
  20. mbartosik

Why does the horse power of the motor have to be greater than of the pump with a variable speed drive? I think that you are thinking of the SubDrive series, not MonoDrive. I appear to have a 3/4 HP pump and 3/4 HP motor with variable speed controller MonoDrive. From the manual from my...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks