Search results

1. Jeremytl

Help size GPM for small house

I'm replacing a 40 gallon tank heater that is in my crawlspace with an electric tankless heater. I don't have propane or natural gas available where I live. My first question is, can a home pass inspection with a water heater in the crawlspace sitting on dirt? My second question is how many...
  2. Jeremytl

Small bathroom - non-standard size tub remodel

I could use some advice. We decided it is high time to make some improvements to our main bath, which is pretty small at only 4' x 9'. Our budget is very limited, roughly $1500 to $2000. Part of the project will be tiling the floor. The big part of the project is to replace the tub. I can do the...
  3. Jeremytl

A WTF plastic fitting on old cast iron. Tub drain

House built '63 Cast iron tub built into the walls. I went to replace a part of the drain. Moved grounding bracket to jump replacement section and when I tightened on the bracket I crushed this plastic pipe. How do I go about this? is beyond me.
  4. Jeremytl

whole house filter, AFTER WellTroll tank?

I need to install a whole house filter. Lately there has been a lot of reddish sediment. Should I install the filter before or after the bladder tank? I have a Gould pump under house going to Well Troll tank, then everywhere else. Where should I put the whole house filter?
  5. Jeremytl

Old Gerber tub plumbing - replacing myself, need help

Hello, Our tub is old cast iron, I want to replace it eventually or cover it, one. But thats another story. Right now I have a bigger problem, the tub fixture is leaking and I can't turn it off. I'm posting a couple pics in hopes of getting some recommendations or advice on how to go about it. I...
  6. Jeremytl

Sudden turbidity in well water

We've lived in this house for 9 years and this is the first time we've experienced this. We are a small house on a 60' well which we are told is very shallow for a water supply well. The well has never dried up or even showed signs of going dry, even in the terrible droughts of 2007 and 2009...
  7. Jeremytl

"State" Gas Water Heater- Pilot won't stay lit - replaced thermocouple

I replaced the thermocouple. It's installed correctly. I get a nice blue flame. No drafts. No water dripping on pilot light. When I go to light pilot light, I hold down the knob for 60 seconds, as soon as I let up on the knob the pilot goes out. Yes, the gas supply is turned on. Is this a faulty...
  8. Jeremytl

Hit a brick wall...could really use some advice

Actually, I hit a slab. I'll start from the beginning. We're putting a half-bath in a small 3 bedroom/ one bath house built in '63. Where the new half-bath is going: it's an area that at one time used to be a patio adjacent to a carport. 20 or so years ago, this area was transformed into a...
  9. Jeremytl

insulating material info - please...

I have propane heat. It breaks my bank every winter. The ductwork under my house in the crawlspace is the old sheet metal type. I want to insulate it to possibly help the system run more efficiently. What concerns me is that sometimes in the summer condensation can build up on the duct work when...
  10. Jeremytl

Love this forum and have learned a lot. Looking for appliance forum

Thought maybe some of the kind folks that have helped me here can help me find a good appliance forum in which to ask questions.
  11. Jeremytl

woodshop stovepipe question

Hello, I have an old pot-belly stove in my woodshop. I burn nothing but hardwood in it. Recently I have noticed a few sparks coming out of the top of the pipe outside. It is a double wall pipe going up through an insulated attic in the woodshop. I asked a neighbor if he thought it to be a...
  12. Jeremytl

tub drain - trap replacement?

Hi- question about a tub trap replacement... I believe the plumbing under the tub to be original to the house (1963). I have replaced quite a few old plumbing fixtures and the tub trap is next on the list. It suddenly stopped draining and I can't work the pipe snake through this trap: My...
  13. Jeremytl

condensate on air ducts - normal?

Under the house in the crawl space, there is quite a bit of condensate dripping off the old metal air ducts. I was thinking about insulating these ducts to improve the heat in winter but after seeing all the condensate I think I'll hold off. I think that insulation would just be wet all the time...
  14. Jeremytl

smell coming from central air system

I remember this musty smell from when we lived in an apartment, years ago. Now I'm smelling it for the first time in 5 years. Its the same musty smell, I believe coming from the air ducts. We have a single story house with a crawl space. The air handler and propane furnace is under the house...
  15. Jeremytl

tub drain questions and pic

Hi, I posted a thread on this tub last year. We decided it would be too much trouble to replace so we are going to try and refinish. But first off, the top part of the tub drain that has the lever, not sure what its called, is so old and worn. It no longer makes a seal and water is getting...
  16. Jeremytl

slow drain

Hello friends, I live in the country with a septic tank and well. All is fine except the tub and sink in the one bathroom we have, drains slow l y. A friend suggested muriatic acid, I googled it and it came up as hydrochloric acid on wikipedia. However, it did not say whether or not it was safe...
  17. Jeremytl

stovepipe roof leak

Hi, I have a wood stove in my shed that has a 10" insulated stove pipe coming up through the roof with an internal 6 inch pipe serving as the "chimney". The roof is leaking around it. I tried to patch it with roof repair, black asphalt caulk and of course the heat of the stove pipe ruined it...
  18. Jeremytl

floor vent air temps

Hi all, This is our 4th winter in this house and I'd like to learn how I can make my heating system run a little more efficient. The house was built in '65. It is a one story ranch at about 1,350 square feet. The crawl space underneath, where the furnace operates, ranges from 2' to 3.5 '. The...
  19. Jeremytl

Bathroom signage...

A while ago (more than a year) I found a sign to put in the bathroom for guests. I think I found it on here but... Anyways, it was a clever little rhyme that talked about what shouldn't be flushed down the toilet for septic tank purposes. We're having another party at our house and we're on a...
  20. Jeremytl

tub replacement help

Our house is an old farmhouse with one bathroom. The tub I think is original to the house- 1965. It is so crudded up and drains poorly that my wife and I finally decided to replace it. Especially with a new baby and the tub looking so disgusting, the project is now on fast-track... The tub...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks