Search results

1. Sam R

Simple question about sill sealing a pipe combing up through concrete slab

Cool, I'll give it a shot! Thank you so much for taking the time to help - very kind of you.
  2. Sam R

Wonderful, thank you so much! Do you usually wrap the associated floor drain too? Or is it better to leave that flush with the concrete after it is poured (no gap) for drainage purposes?
  3. Sam R

Hi all, I am a total DIY novice, but trying to learn. I received a lot of help here previously with this project and wanted to ask a simple question: I had a professional jackhammer up a ~1 foot x 1 foot area of concrete slab in my basement and replace a leaking galvanized drain pipe (now...
  4. Sam R

New to plumbing - help with utility sink drain and water hookup

Cool, thanks Tuttles and Tughillrzr! I didn't think that the galvie might be attached to cast iron underneath - super helpful. That should be a simpler job than ripping the whole pipe out and more satisfying/durable than a patch. It's wedged in behind a WH and furnace, but I can probably squeeze...
  5. Sam R

Hey all, One step forward and one backward and could use some advice! Recall that I am trying to hook a basement sink up to an old galvanized drain that wasn't being used in the basement (the rest of my house has been upgraded to ABS and drains into our home's main drain above the grade of...
  6. Sam R

Thanks Reach4, I have someone coming to do the moss already (one of the many to-dos after moving in). If I can find out that that is actually the vent for my future hookup I can see if they are willing to uncap it or saw it off. Thanks so much!
  7. Sam R

Thanks, Tuttles! Yeah that all makes sense. I will explore a little more. Might end up hiring someone to take a look at the drain/vent since this is starting to exceed my knowledge/skills as a first-time homeowner and I'd hate to hook a sink up to a rough in with a non-functional drain or vent...
  8. Sam R

Haha, yeah... the vent in the pic I showed is definitely capped up, no question. Just not sure if this capped vent is the vent from the rough in I want to use, or not. There are a few vents on the roof and the home has been through a couple of remodels. Not sure if there is an easy way to tell...
  9. Sam R

Thanks Tughillrzr! The cap I was worried about is an ABS vent on the roof of the house that is capped (attached). I was wondering if this entire system might have been capped off if not in use (The plumbing, roof, and moving washer/dryer were all done in 2014). Before I think about using this...
  10. Sam R

That is a good question! I think you're right that the larger pipe up high is the main drain for the rest of the house. The rough in for the washing machine and utility sink drain to the left into an ancient looking pipe in the corner of the house (see attached). It is tough to access (behind...
  11. Sam R

Ah cool, great advice. I'll do that. Nice to have the option to easily use the standpipe in case our plans for the basement ever change. Thanks much!!
  12. Sam R

Thank you all!! Sounds like the existing cap in the very lower right can just be unscrewed and used for the drain, and I can put compression stops onto the existing copper stubouts bottom right and use those for my water hookups. And yes, all in ABS :) I'll cap off the standpipe as I don't see...
  13. Sam R

Hi all, I just bought a house that has an area where I think a washer was previously hooked up (not 100% sure). I want to hook a utility sink here instead (the washer has been relocated), and will NOT be hooking a washer up at all. What is the easiest way to hook a utility sink drain and...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks