Search results

1. Drench

Choosing a tub

Thank you for your input. I agree that a fixed elbow coming out of the trap would be better, but I need the adjustability in case it doesn't line up when we drop the tub in. There was the same kind of connector in place with the old tub which I think had been there for 20 years without leaking...
  2. Drench

Choosing a tub

Any code violations here? It's a p trap with union into two 45s on the horizontal plane. Bit of a snake, but it's tough when the service enters at an angle and the new tub wants the drain less than 8 inches from the short wall. I plan to pack a little gravel under the trap to get a little slope.
  3. Drench

Choosing a tub

Wise words. Don't take chances with water under pressure, especially if the work needs to last for decades and making fixes requires ripping open walls.
  4. Drench

Choosing a tub

That's a really good point. While the fitting is half inch, the actual valve inlets and outlets are much smaller. Any concerns using these directly on a shower valve body...
  5. Drench

Choosing a tub

Another philosophical question. I see that PEX reduces internal diameter, meaning that "1/2" inch PEX fittings have an internal bore of about 3/8 and "3/4" is about 1/2. I just plumbed up my new shower valve, which has 1/2 inch threaded NPT connectors, with half-inch PEX fittings. Should I rip...
  6. Drench

Choosing a tub

Now for a philosophical question: Should I keep the current arrangement, which was clearly installed from the backside through the drywall when the slab leak occurred, or should I replace that work on the grounds that something soldered with proper open-wall access may last longer? It looks like...
  7. Drench

Choosing a tub

Ah, so this likely goes on to serve the toilet and/or vanity in the same room? Because code forbids soft copper joints underground, they needed to branch above grade before diving back under again to travel to the other fixtures. I suppose feeding from the top rather than the bottom probably...
  8. Drench

Choosing a tub

Any idea what's going on here? This is the plumbing stub up from the slab that services the tub/shower fixture in the bathroom I'm working on. Both hot and cold have this strange inverted trident shape where the main line exits the slab then Ts off before diving back into the slab again. I've...
  9. Drench

Choosing a tub

Thanks so much for the advice. Maybe I'll cut the timeframe down a bit. Honestly, my wife will probably make me move faster.
  10. Drench

Choosing a tub

Now for a mixing valve shower/tub combo. I did Moen in the shower 10 years ago, and it has held up. Definitely sticking with a major brand there. Any one in particular that seems to stand out for long-term reliability? I plan to plumb it up and leave the walls open for a month in use before I...
  11. Drench

Choosing a tub

thanks. I think Americast seems like a decent option. I like how the strength of the material seems to allow for more larger expanses of flat internal standing space.
  12. Drench

Choosing a tub

Thanks. What do you think of Americast? It's billed as nicer than enamel on steel but not as heavy as cast.
  13. Drench

Choosing a tub

About to replace a fiberglass shower/tub combo from 1971 with a new tub/tile surround. Any thoughts on what's a good option for a standard 60/35 alcove opening? I searched the forum to see if one model in particular looked like it was getting all of the love, but didn't see anything conclusive...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks