Search results

1. pollymath

Uphonor PEX Expansion Rings Getting in the Way of Shower Drywall at Elbows

I plumbed my shower with PEX Expansion fittings. I also used Uphonor PEX Expansion Drop-Ear Elbows for the Shower Outlet and Handshower Outlets. My tile guy requested the drop-ear elbows sit out far enough that the Kerdi-Schluter Membrane Gasket would surround the NPT fitting. Thus, if either...
  2. pollymath

2021 State of Cabinet Water Softeners

I've got a 20 year old US Water Hydro Quad traditional water softener with a huge brine tank. Our house isn't big (1550sqft), and we could always use more storage. Our mechanical closet is packed full of stuff, including a domestic water heater tank, a hydronic heating commercial water tank...
  3. pollymath

Hand Shower Elbow Placement - Now On Other Side of Jack/King Stud

Originally, I had planned by Hand Shower Elbow (Shaving/Cleaning Only) to be centered between a diverter and the corner, in line with my shower diverter valve at 48" from the floor. The shower head is on an opposite wall. The problem, is that because of my niche placement on the "dry side"...
  4. pollymath

New Hot Water Heater Height Impacting Venting

I changed this post around as I decided that "yes, I will just go out and get a new hot water heater, and leave the complicated planning for a future date." Trouble is, my old 40gal hot water heater is 60" x 17.5" and it's already crowding the vent a bit. If I purchase a new 40gal "tall" it...
  5. pollymath

Keep PEX Tight to Drywall in Attic

I have two instances of places where some new PEX I've installed goes through my doubled up top plate. Unfortunately, when the PEX enters the attic space, it's sticks up a good amount, making it a challenge to insulate. I've heard that you want to minimize the amount of fittings exposed in...
  6. pollymath

Abandoning Old ABS Drains (But Not Permanently)

I relocated my shower drain to share a vent with my toilet, all moved across the room from the location of my old tub and shower. Slab on grade, 4" slab over cinders, with wire mesh and rebar and hydronic PEX lines in the slab. So I've got a 1.5" trap and a 2" trap with a 2" vent still open at...
  7. pollymath

Protecting Copper in Sub-Slab Gravel

I had some underslab work done where we needed to remove the Oately Pipe Wrap from copper pipes. We use Viega ProPress fittings for the under slab connection. Slick stuff. I only need like 3' of wrap (from point of extension up and over to a wall), so buying a huge thing of Pipe Wrap seems...
  8. pollymath

Phoenix Versa-Hydro in Garage vs Mechanical Closet?

I'm eyeing a Phoenix Versa-Hydro to replace my TWO hot water heaters in my mud-room mechanical closet. The goal? Be able to use that mechanical closet as a laundry closet, and my current laundry room as an office. Other advantages of having the water heating setup out in the garage are ease of...
  9. pollymath

Local Supply House Poo-Pooing Phoenix/HTP

I went to my local supply house, a major company here in Arizona, asking about the HTP Versa-Hydro. I've currently got an 11-year old DHW that needs replaced ASAP, and a 20 year old commercial HWH. Both are pretty inefficient. My local government is giving rebates and incentives to update to...
  10. pollymath

Copper-to-PEX Transition Under Slab

I've got some copper lines I'm thinking of extending another 24" into a nearby wall. I'll need to extend those lines via an approved under-slab connection method (thinking Viega ProPress). A local plumber has the necessary tools and can probably install 4 fittings in less than hour. Once above...
  11. pollymath

Copper-to-PEX transition below floor surface or PEX-in-Attic re-pipe?

I've got a daisy-chained copper setup in my on-slab master bathroom that I'm remodelling. The 3/4" pipe comes from the manifold at the hot water heater approximately 10' away. It then branches, above the slab, with a 1/2" line to the garage sink, about 7' away. The problem is that this 3/4...
  12. pollymath

Freeze Damage Prevention with PEX - Logic vs Home Run

Debating Replumbing my Copper Under Slab with PEX in attic. I've got a 1" PEX main feed that's been in the attic for 22 years without issue, but I'm still concerned with freeze protection in my new install. I've read that Home Run designs for each fixture can prevent freeze damage because...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks