Search results

1. Rick.a

will NPT fitting work with IPS fitting?

Are these 2 standards the same? Or do they have different taper, or thread count or pitch? I tried to look this up but got more confused than ever. I now know what they stand for, but will they fit together properly and not leak. Using 3/4" brass fittings. thanks,
  2. Rick.a

What's the max size of drain/vent pipe that I can I can put thru a 2x4 stud?

I will shortly be re-doing all of the plumbing in a small bathroom and adjacent kitchen. In order to vent properly I will need to run ABS thru several studs, then through the exterior wall top plate. What is the max size pipe that I can run through these framing members. I am in MA, which...
  3. Rick.a

2 inch flexible aluminum duct vent available?

I want to install a fresh air intake on my Pellet stove but the kit from the manufacturer (Quadra Fire) cost about $100 which is outrageous. Even the dealer said "make it yourself". I can find the parts to to this myself with the exception of the aluminum flex tubing. I need 2 inch and cannot...
  4. Rick.a

Tankless with varying incoming pressure from well tank/pump?

I have a small house with a well and pressure tank set to produce between 30-50 lbs. pressure. This works great. We now want (actually need to for space considerations) to install a tankless WH but wonder if the varying pressure from the well tank is going to screw things up with the tankless...
  5. Rick.a

Vent size?

What is the smallest size of vent pipe that can be used to go up from the stack and through the roof? Total load is one toilet, 1 lav sink, 1 shower, 1 kitchen sink. I live in MA if that matters. thanks,
  6. Rick.a

laundry drain size?

I am installing a clothes washer as part of a bathroom remodel and want to connect it to a drywell that is technically illegal in MA but allowed since it is preexisting, and grandfathered in. The problem is that the drain pipe in the basement that goes to the dry well is 1 1/2 in. I know that 2"...
  7. Rick.a

Side vent clearance for tankless on demand WH?

I am adding a concrete block foundation around a small cottage in Palmer Massachusetts. Next summer, we will re do all the plumbing during a bathroom remodel and at that time, install a tankless on demand WH (probably a small Renai unit). This unit will be installed in the crawlspace under the...
  8. Rick.a

Which heating system is best for my use?

I have a 930 SF house in Massachusetts that has been a Summer only place, but now we need to convert it to a year round home. We are insulating it to the max but need to add a heating system. Propane and electric are my only fuel options. We are getting quotes on central heat systems but I want...
  9. Rick.a

insulating floor over crawlspace

I need to insulate a small house that has a dirt crawlspace. We will be adding a concrete block foundation to create a sealed "conditioned" crawlspace with the dirt floor sealed with 6 mil plastic sheeting. I also want to add insulation between the floor joists but want this to NOT block the...
  10. Rick.a

Ever heard of "State" brand tankless W.H.?

The plumbing/heating company that might have install a complete heating system and tankless HW heater likes to use "State" brand on demand WH. Has anyone heard of this company? He also claims not to get good support from Rinnai. Dana, since I am near you (in Palmer, MA), is local Rinnai...
  11. Rick.a

will larger diameter drop pipe help my shallow well

I have a shallow well (15 ft to water level) and a 1/2 hp jet pump. Drop pipe is 1" poly and pipe up to house is 3/4" poly and goes uphill about 30 ft on a 130 ft run. All works fine. Pump takes 75 seconds to fill pressure tank (5.8 gal draw down) from 30 to 50 psi. I am replacing the drop...
  12. Rick.a

Shed roof 2x8's?

I am building a shed that will be attached to a porch on the rear of my cottage. The classic shed roof will be tied into the roof of the porch (side of the porch). My question is: Can 2x8's on 24" centers span 8 ft on a roof with a 3 pitch, and 1/2" sheathing, in central Massachusetts (snow...
  13. Rick.a

hole drilled in foot valve?

Last fall when I pulled the drop pipe from my shallow well (Jet pump, 15 ft suction line) I noticed a very small hole in the side of the foot valve body that squirted water from above the closed valve when I lifted out the poly pipe filled with water. This is undoubtedly what was causing the...
  14. Rick.a

Ever heard of "PumpChamber"

I have a shallow dug well with water levels that range from 10" to 18". I currently use a jet pump which works well but presents freeze challenges in winter (Massachusetts). My water level is too low for a submersible which would make winterizing easy. I just found this site that advertises...
  15. Rick.a

What is the shortest (height) sub well pump?

If/when my shallow well jet pump dies I would like to replace it with a submersible, to minimize headaches with the jet system when shutting the well down for the winter. BUT the water in my wide but shallow well is only about 20 inches from the bottom. Is there a very short sub that might work...
  16. Rick.a

how to drain the drop pipe

I have a seasonal cottage at which I drain the plumbing for the winter. It's a shallow well (water at 15 ft) with a jet pump sitting on the lid in a small pump house. It's a real pain to pull the drop pipe each fall and reinstall each spring. Since I drain the pump and leave it in the pump...
  17. Rick.a

Submersible pump in a shallow well?

I have a dug well at my summer camp and it's a pain to pull the jet pump when winterizing it each fall, mainly cause bugs and junk fall into the drop pipe hole and each Spring I have bacteria in the water and have to disinfect the system. I am thinking about putting in a submersible and...
  18. Rick.a

Do extra fittings cause loss of flow or pressure?

I finally installed the new pump/tank system in my summer cottage and everything works pretty good. In fact, the wimpy jet pump down the hill at the well takes a long time to re-pressurize the tank (30-50 switch), so it does not cycle very much during extended water usage. Kinda like a built in...
  19. Rick.a

GPM from pump, or is it from tank?

I have to fill out a useless but required real estate form that asks what is the "Gallons per minute capacity of your well pump" How can I get this accurate? If I do the "fill the 5 gal bucket" method, it will only measure how fast my tank can push water out since it has a 5.9 gal output...
  20. Rick.a

Drum trap or not?

As part of a total kitchen remodel I need to reinstall a kitchen sink drain. The existing 1 1/2 pvc goes straight down thru the floor to the crawlspace. The prior setup had a drum trap. I was told that this was because of the long drop from the sink. Should I put in another drum ( I have heard...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks