Search results

1. Nate R

Kitchen Sink Drain Basket keeps leaking?

Looking for a bit of advice. I helped someone install a new kitchen sink recently. It's a porcelain sink from Ikea. We used the Ikea drain basket and some non-staining putty to seal it. This person often leaves things soak in the sink overnight. A couple months after I installed, it stopped...
  2. Nate R

Saniflo Greywater Pumps?

Working on the design of our kitchen remodel. Currently, the kitchen sink is on an inside wall, 2 feet from the stack. We're looking at moving the sink and adding a dishwasher, but putting them on an outside wall, 12 feet away. Our house was built over a dirt "crawlspace" but the dirt is only...
  3. Nate R

Converting Shed roof to gable?

My house has a 80 year old addition on the front and the roof is sagging. We're thinking of maybe replacing it with a gable roof. Some tiny trusses or rafters, not sure yet which. Anyone done this? Is my city going to require an engineer to sign off on it, or just inspection to make sure I...
  4. Nate R

Converting Surface Mount Panel to Recessed?

My main panel is currently surface-mounted to an interior wall in our back porch with the feed from the meter coming in through the backside. Can I add lumber over the existing wall, re-run the wiring through the new lumber, while keeping the box in place, essentially making what was a...
  5. Nate R

Main Disconnect Seperate from panel?

When you have an outdoor main disconnect; and the main panel is separate from that (indoors), is the main panel treated as a subpanel as far as neutral/ground bonding? Where in the NEC do I find this? Just looking for a quick answer. I was asked this, and I don't know the answer.
  6. Nate R

Connecting to Storm Sewer?

I figured I'd check here first. My house was built before nearly every other one on the block. (1920s) It was built before the street had plumbing. Later, sanitary plumbing was added, but there's no connections from the separate storm sewer to my property. All my neighbors around me with...
  7. Nate R

Cable or Jet?

*sigh* It's happened again. 2 years ago we had the main line back up. We had it hydro jetted and camera'd from the cleanout in the middle of the yard. He went from the cleanout to the main sewer line in the street. He went backwards some, too with the jetting line, but wasn't able to get the...
  8. Nate R

Fixing Bad Stack Repair

When I redo the kitchen, (Hopefully this year) I will be fixing this mess that was left by the previous owner. There is the 4X4X2 tee visible in the pic which handles the kitchen sink drain. There is another below it that connects a branch that drains a bathtub, sink, and clothes washer...
  9. Nate R

Countertop Support Framing?

Not sure where to look for this info. Haven't found anything so far, but maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places. We're thinking of putting in a granite countertop in our kitchen remodel. How does one set up support for the countertop when the dishwasher it goes over is in a corner? How...
  10. Nate R

Adding Rafters?

The skylight we put in the bathroom wasn't too bad at all to do. Current rafters are 20-22" apart (They vary) so our 15X30" skylight in the bathroom was framed in between 2 existing rafters. In our stairway that has the roofline directly overhead, a rafter runs down just about the middle of the...
  11. Nate R

Vapor Barrier questions

1 1/2 story 900 SF house in Milwaukee built in the early 20s. No basement. I have wall cavities that are built w/ studs between 3 7/8" and 4" thick. (The house was built w/ reused wood from another structure.) The rafters on this house are also 2X4s (Really nearly 2" wide and nearly 4" in...
  12. Nate R

Tub Drain Shoe Leak

Really would like some advice on this. :) Wife is starting to get impatient, but I don't want to have to peel the silicone off of the drain spud a second time. It was a real pain. https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23858 Thanks!
  13. Nate R

Tub drain shoe leak

Ripped out our Lyons tub after 6 months or so. When we installed it, my wife stood/sat in it to set it in the mortar bed. I think it flexed so much it pushed the mortar down and popped back up some when she got out. So it was flexing all the time, and I knew it wouldn't get any better being a...
  14. Nate R

Electrical Mistakes Video?

I had a link saved somewhere for a site that had a video of mistakes that electrical inspectors commonly miss. I can't find it on the web anywhere, nor can I find the location of the link I had. Anyone know what I'm talking about? The video featured a "wall" of mistakes w/ outlets, etc in a...
  15. Nate R

Less ugly way to cap old galv vent?

My house was built in ~1922. Before this area had plumbing available. I believe the plumbing was installed in the house in 1931 or so. Since then all the supply lines have been replaced w/ copper. Drain branches have been done in PVC as well. Just the cast iron stack and closet bend remain...
  16. Nate R

Box Fill Calc?

Planning circuits, and want to make sure I understand box fill calc. I want to bring power into a ceiling box, and power a switched light fixture, and distribute power to 2 sets of receptacles as well. (Total of 5 Receptacles, and then the one light fixture.) I have a Blue plastic Carlon...
  17. Nate R

Interpreting labels in Load Center

My house has a Square D Load center likely installed in the 70s. It's only a 12 space box, which is not enough for my needs. I have 100 amp service, and a residential load calculation based on the future setup of the house came in around 68 Amps, IIRC. So there's headroom. (Small 900 SF House...
  18. Nate R

Ground Bus in old panel?

I have an old main panel that went in in 1971. (Square D.) All of the circuits going out are run in conduit, and I believe grounded through it to the chassis of the panel. I want to replace/alter many of the circuits in this panel. I also will be adding a 40A Subpanel run. Should I run...
  19. Nate R

Speaker wires

I'm running speaker wires from our office to our kitchen and to our bathroom. How do I need to treat these as far as NEC goes? Do I need a certain type of box, etc? I did get wire that was rated for in wall use. Beyond that, I don't know what's required.
  20. Nate R

Running circuits along roof?

My main panel is in our back entrance to the house, a little 4X4' area that was added on to the original house. I will be rewiring just about everything. The easiest/best route to the 2nd floor (really a 1/2 story) is along the roof of the house. The rafters are only 4". (Really closer to 3...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks