Search results

1. Dusty Fellow

Ok to splice CI closet bend?

Gotcha, thanks. How common are leaks on old cast and galv if pressure tested? I'm just wondering whether it's very unlikely the old would pass a pressure test, or 50/50, etc.? We have an inspection issue in the city currently (not my listed location). The inspections have been farmed out and...
  2. Dusty Fellow

Single band? That’s just for the closet bend in one bath because I wanted to spare working on the vertical stack. I’ve replaced a good 50% of the 4” main running under these two adjacent baths, with mostly all new drain lines and probably 60% new venting. It wasn’t just for fun - footprints...
  3. Dusty Fellow

I said, "Now what did I do wrong??" That's what the emojis are for...! I don't think I can get away without testing the old/whole house, but who knows what the inspector will want. I'll be testing the whole house with a long ball in the cleanout just outside the house. If I fail due to old...
  4. Dusty Fellow

It definitely got a little love from the grinder to knock off the “patina” and some lettering. The new piece actually needed more lettering removed because of where I had to cut it. But the band fit ok even with the slight difference in size. Of course we’ll see when it gets tested... As for...
  5. Dusty Fellow

Sorry, don’t understand?
  6. Dusty Fellow

Here’s the new closet bend installed. New toy I got for the shop was perfect for grinding off the lettering. Now let’s all hope the old lead&oakum holds water.
  7. Dusty Fellow

Vent size at takeoff

Ya. This one will be a rental, and I don’t like plastic in walls where all it takes is one screw... Secondly, interior load bearing walls are 2x4 with let-in and would require a lot of work with the old notches and holes for 2” pipe horizontal runs. Easier to just re-route some pipes and do...
  8. Dusty Fellow

Vent size at takeoff

Working on my cast iron dwv 2-bath remodel and here’s a quick question, mostly because I’m without the ideal part and far from a supply place that carries it for at least a few days. 2 inch P trap and arm for the tub. Vent takes off around 12” after the P-trap and will be joining another 1.5”...
  9. Dusty Fellow

Cast iron lav rough-in - tapped santee or not?

What would the reasoning be that tubular to nipple is incorrect?
  10. Dusty Fellow

This is just super standard directly behind sink outlet. I guess I’ve dealt with a few too many corroded nipples recently in old cast and galv and was wondering if there was a better [metal] solution that would last longer. Realistically it only ends up being an issue when you’re remodeling...
  11. Dusty Fellow

Totally. What you have suggested makes good sense and what I’ll be doing for the tie-ins to the old. It just sent me down a rabbit hole and I enjoy geeking out on the details.
  12. Dusty Fellow

That’s the common way I’m familiar with, but downside seems to be that the nipple, whether galv or brass, tends to be a point of corrosion years down the road. Threads offer more flexibility for testing when it’s new though.
  13. Dusty Fellow

Just curious which would be considered preferred practice for 2” CI DWV rough-in for lavs: the tapped 1.5” santee or plain no-hub? Pros and cons either way?
  14. Dusty Fellow

It’s interesting because it looks like the Black Swan No Hub Sealant is the only stuff that is actually made for one of the purposes we’re discussing (sealing no hub fittings on iffy connections). Some internet discussions turned up that it is/was actually code in some places (Chicago area?) to...
  15. Dusty Fellow

Ah, after a little digging I figured out the stuff I was thinking of was Blue Block by the same company. Block doesn’t seem as widely available now (?), maybe the same/similar formulation as Grrip.
  16. Dusty Fellow

Good stuff, will definitely pick some up for a few spots where I am tying to the old CI. On CI rough-in jobs that I’ve hired out in the past, I’ve had a mix of people sealing their cut ends (of new pipe) with IIRC blue stuff - not sure what it was - and others not. Perhaps was a difference in...
  17. Dusty Fellow

What do you like to use for this purpose? I’ve seen a lot of folks skip this, but it makes good sense.
  18. Dusty Fellow

Thanks! Great tip about potential lettering in the way. That’s something I could have easily overlooked!
  19. Dusty Fellow

Working on a bath remodel, 2 adjacent baths in a 2 bath house, so much of the plumbing is getting re-done. Current DWV is all hubbed CI & galv and I’ll be sticking with CI. One of the toilet locations is staying exactly in place, but the flange and end of closet bend are in bad shape. Is it...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks