Search results

1. jad3675

Unusual set up: indirect as preheat for small combi?

I know, I have a turbomax. There's 20ft of 3/8 tubing in a 26 gallon turbomax. That's about 1/10 of a gallon of water. Since the system is essentially flushed each time you open a hot water tap, the risk of legionnaires is almost non-existent - there's no 'sitting' water in the coil like you get...
  2. jad3675

Unusual set up: indirect as preheat for small combi?

The stored water in a ergomax/turbomax is non-potable, so the storage temp doesn't mater.
  3. jad3675

Oversized Boiler, maybe?

Follow up to this - had a well recommended company come out to check out the system. They pointed out the low F output and low dT on the return might be caused by the basement radiators (3 radiators with 16ft of copper pipping and fins, plumbed in with 1/2) - shorts runs that are tied directly...
  4. jad3675

Oversized Boiler, maybe?

Thanks again Dana. I have a company that does hydronics coming out next week to give me their thoughts, though I am leaning towards doing the boiler swap myself. To that end I started looking into the HTP UFT-080W that everyone seems to love - and well, my local distributor says it has been...
  5. jad3675

Oversized Boiler, maybe?

It's straight shot, so to speak - supply side is 1 1/4 copper out of the boiler and the return is...well another 1 1/4 pipe that is fed from a run in the ceiling. I believe it comes down from a manifold in the knee-wall space on the 2nd floor. It's all in parallel. I was trying to be funny...
  6. jad3675

Oversized Boiler, maybe?

My multimeter has a tape on thermistor probe. I that used to measure the return temp - I shot the temp gun against the black duct tape I used to adhere the thermistor to the return line. I'm reasonable confident that the return temp is not at 130f. There's no boiler bypass on my system either -...
  7. jad3675

Oversized Boiler, maybe?

Thanks again, both to Dana and Fitter30 for answering my questions. Looks like I'll be insulating a wall this spring at the minimum, and looking into the HTP as a boiler replacement. I gather the UFT-080 with an indirect tank is the way to go, like @PC7060 did in his setup? Interesting about...
  8. jad3675

Oversized Boiler, maybe?

It's a taco 007-F5. As for loops...each room/hallway/area has it own loop. I think. The manifold in the basement has 18 valves that correspond to the various areas of the house. Closing a valve causes the loop for that room to go cold. John
  9. jad3675

Oversized Boiler, maybe?

Dana - thanks for taking the time to respond. And yes, I was using 65F as the base temp. HDT was 12, as you indicated. Basement is semi-finished, though the one external wall in the boiler room is bare cinderblock, so maybe it would be worth it to insulate that side? The basement is heated...
  10. jad3675

Oversized Boiler, maybe?

Boiler runs at 120. There's copper tubes in the embedded in the ceilings of the house - essentially making the ceilings radiant panels.
  11. jad3675

Oversized Boiler, maybe?

Background - Cincinnati Ohio - 1.5 story cape cod, built in 1951. Brick on block construction, minimal (rockwool) insulation in the knee-wall space. Newer replacement windows. 2450 sqft. Radiant heat in the ceilings of the first floor and slanted ceilings of the 2nd floor. Single zone, though...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks