Search results

1. Maine Way

two close wet-vewnted bathroom groups

Hello All! Two toilets on a 3" line to drain drop into sewer (marked "S" in drawing) , each with a wet vent 1. Each wet vent is 2" and serves as drain for one lav and one sho 2. Washers have dry vent connection and seperate drain 3. The second toilet has a wye to connect to wet vent. Is...
  2. Maine Way

Hot Water Recirculator - Which Product for me?

Hello All, I am looking for the right recirculation system for my home. 1. I will provide 1/2" return lines to kitchen and two remote bathroom groups, each with a tee to the hot water supply for each location (all currently homerunned) and with a check valve at each end point. 2. I plan to tee...
  3. Maine Way

Is it OK for boiler to run constantly?

I have installed a new MOD CON boiler and I've set the system temp to 115 degrees, which gives me a EWT of 109degrees. At this setting it condenses abundantly and uses fuel efficiently. But, it needs to run constantly. The system is only partly running. The one zone that is connected is a...
  4. Maine Way

Boiler Schematic for Comment

Hello All, Most recent version of wall hung mod con boiler schematic. I'm halfway through the hydronic piping now. Please comment on attached image. Shawn
  5. Maine Way

Fin tube boiler need flow switch?

Hello all, My wall mount Lochinvar has an optional input for a flow switch. Is it an important component to install, or would the boiler already have a safety and shut down when the fire tube heat exchanger is overheated? If a switch is needed, then which products are best? Most seem to be...
  6. Maine Way

Controls: circulators, mix valves, and actuators

Hello All, The system I am installing has three temperature space heating requirements plus DHW priority zone. Of these temperature requirements, there are multiple zones in each. My plan is to use manifolds with 4-wire actuators tied to thermostats. Additionally, the thermostat signal needs...
  7. Maine Way

Boiler Schematic for Comment

Hello All, I plan to use mixing valves as opposed to injection to mix temperatures for radiant heat. The boiler I have chosen has a number of sensors and features which regulate water temperature in order to maximize condensation. Above this requirement, my system also needs to control water...
  8. Maine Way

Mix valve and sensors - Boiler Scheme for comment

Hello All, I plan to use mixing valves as opposed to injection to mix temperatures for radiant heat. There is a lot of opinion out there about which is better, but one comment stuck with me that injection is more important for boiler protection for cast iron boilers and mixing valves are a...
  9. Maine Way

Heat Pumps without much redundancy in cold climate?

I have recently begun to consider mixing Heat Pumps into the HVAC design of a remodel. They were suggested as a way to control humidity, and it seems they could have many benefits - heating, cooling, air quality). Looking at LGRED technology, manufacturer indicates full heating capacity down...
  10. Maine Way

Mixed Emitters off a Mod Con - system design?

With tremendous help from this forum (special thanks to Dana), I've managed to evolve my ideas of a new heating system to a single Mod Con and an indirect hot water heater. This is the first post I have made on this topic, so my concept is poorly formed at present. I have installed PEX under...
  11. Maine Way

Closing in on large building boiler design...

Hello All, I’m designing a heating system for a large Victorian, and flexibility is important. Parameters: The plan is to move in this fall, and heat first and second floor, about 2800 SF total. The walls are mostly uninsulated (15%) but the attic has fiberglass batts and some blown-in...
  12. Maine Way

Water Heater for Building Heat and Hot Water?

Hello All, I am considering a Phoenix, PH199-80, Stainless Steel NG Water Heater as the boiler for my building. I am able to get a new one for half price, and I would like any advice on pros and cons of this approach. The radiation I am using in the building is a mix of cast iron baseboard and...
  13. Maine Way

Wet venting bathroom with 3" PVC DWV 90° Elbow w/ 2" Side Inlet

Hello All, I am in a tight spot and cannot fit a 3x3x2 wye before the drain turns down. Is there any issue with using the 2" side inlet of a 3" elbow for the drain of the shower and double lavs to serve as the wet vent for the 3" drain coming from the toilet and turning down the wall?
  14. Maine Way

4" flange not compatible with 3x4 closet bend?

Hello All, What is the deal with toilet flanges and closet bends? It seems like 3x4 closet bend is typical to reduce 4" flange to 3" pipe, but the flanges I have found reduce 4" to 3" from the flange to the drain connection. I have mis-ordered twice now a 4" flange to match an order of 3x4...
  15. Maine Way

Using kitchen dry vent to vent shower above?

I am considering venting the shower with the vent riser coming from the kitchen (instead of wet-venting it from the a lav in the bathroom group). I would need to connect the shower to the kitchen vent vertically or at a 45 deg min angle until I was 6" above shower curb? Is that how that works?
  16. Maine Way

Double vanities, each vented in separate stud bays

Hello all, I'd like to vent these in separate stud bays and avoid horizontal runs that would sever the wall completely. This also allows me to feed the pipe from below and open the wall selectively. I am planning on 1.5" for the blue runs in the drawing. And 2" for the red runs which service...
  17. Maine Way

Plumbing layout of gutted Victorian for comment.

Hello All, I've designed and drawn a sanitary drainage plumbing layout for a gutted Victorian which includes 4 bathrooms and a kitchen with prep sink. The PDF is a large format and if printed to scale is 1/4"=1'-0" scale. It won't fit on small paper so you will just need to zoom in on the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks