Search results

1. Sokolq55

Does AAV have to be directly inline with through-floor drain?

Does an AAV have to sit directly in vertical line with a drain going through floor or can the vent be routed a bit to the side? Current through floor drain is off-center below sink and if I place an AAV directly over the the drain, I can't really go up much before hitting the bottom of the sink...
  2. Sokolq55

Tying drain into old disused vent vs just use AAV

Hello all! Kitchen sink is draining poorly. Flippers bypassed old sink vent. Can you advise on whether and also how: 1) Should I just put in an AAV coming off of the end of the P trap as in picture below (what adaptor would work here? Some sort of a T?) OR 2) Tie the existing drain into the...
  3. Sokolq55

What kind of “oil” on compression fittings

Lots of mentions about using a “drop of oil” with compression fittings. What specifically is meant by that? Can I use some faucet grease for the same purpose? And on a related note, is faucet grease the best thing to use for lubrication various rubber parts like o rings, etc.?
  4. Sokolq55

Are “push to connect” same thing as a shark bite?

I was shopping for some compression fitting supply line valves and noticed the overwhelming majority of supply line valves are of the “push to connect” flavor…presumably catering to DIYers at the big orange. I’m just curious, is that the same thing basically as a sharkbite with the back facing...
  5. Sokolq55

Moving sink drain laterally - need someone to please double check

My original bathroom sink drain is not centered and the new vanity would need quite a bit of mods to make it work So I want to just move the drain. Can someone confirm what I have in the picture will work? I would remove the original drain tee, put in a new one but rotated left, run a short...
  6. Sokolq55

How to tie in old clay drain pipe into new sump pit

Replacing small old clay sump pit with a new, larger one. Perimeter drain channels connect to existing pit via clay pipe under the slab. Once I break up the old pit to enlarge the hole, how do I tie in the existing clay pipe to the new pit? I also worry that, when breaking things up, I may not...
  7. Sokolq55

Sump pump ghost turning it off

So this weird thing has happened for the third time in last few months. The sump pump works fine and then one day I’ll go to the basement and it’s flooding and the pump isn’t working. I tiptoe my way to the sump pump, gently lift the pit cover and the pump magically kicks on. I really don’t...
  8. Sokolq55

Basement utility sink drain pump continuously running

It will pump the water out, and then run dry. Is this usually the float switch being stuck? It's a Liberty Pumps model 403. I'll be taking it apart later today. PS - if I do end up having to replace it, can I just put a regular sump pump that will fit into the existing enclosure, or is the...
  9. Sokolq55

What length fittings to leave for Grohe fixtures?

I'm starting to tile, and ideally would like to have anything sticking out from the drop elbows nicely sealed to the tile backer board before I tile. Problem is I'm not sure what length I'll ultimately need and not sure I'm reading these instructions from Grohe correct. The holes are for 1 -...
  10. Sokolq55

Wedi panel flex/give

Installing 1/2" wedi over studs. After everything is fastened and sealed, when I give the panels a good push with my palm in the center between two studs (16" on center), I feel and see a bit of flex in the panel. Nothing crazy, but it's there. Is this something to worry about for the final...
  11. Sokolq55

Importance of tub drain shoe and flange/rubber gasket being absolutely level to each other

My PVC drain shoe sits about 1/8” out of level with respect to the bottom of a new cast iron tub drain opening. Consequently, in order for the rubber gasket to properly seal all the way around, I have to over tighten the flange which results in a slight bulging of the gasket on one side while...
  12. Sokolq55

Why are toilet/sink shut off valves and braided hoses such crap?

Within a year of installation, it seems if you just look at one of these valves wrong, they start to drip. Even ones that are full brass. Why is that? Is there a better alternative/brand? Same with the braided hoses - even if I hand tighten them plus just a quarter turn pipe wrench, they are...
  13. Sokolq55

Drain tee slip joint depth limit or defect

My bathroom sink drain stubout tee has a “depth limiting lip/ring” (see picture) about half an inch into the tee. The lip doesn’t go all the way around inside the tee, but a good 3/4 of it has it. Question: is this just an old manufacturing defect? or is it there on purpose so that when making...
  14. Sokolq55

Where does the air vent go in this case? aka do I need a second AAV? aka drain gurgling issues

Whenever my laundry pump drains, there’s gurgling from the downstairs shower p trap. There is no gurgling from the kitchen p trap. There is already a vent as seen in the picture and I can see the spring mechanism activating when the laundry pump is draining. The laundry pump itself has an open...
  15. Sokolq55

Can you double check my work, please?

Can you please double check my bath/shower plumbing and/or give advice on things to check before closing up. All drop elbows are nice and plumb and secure. Obviously the most important - I don’t have the water hooked up right now, will do tomorrow for full test. Two uponor 3/4 to 1/2 MNPT...
  16. Sokolq55

Do drop ear elbows have to be oriented vertically?

vs I’m trying to eliminate an extra elbow. Any reason I shouldn’t mount a drop elbow in an orientation that helps me do that. See pics. Thanks
  17. Sokolq55

Grohe Tub Spout - Sweat in Stub Out or Use Custom Brass Nipple? with little wiggle room.

The spout I have requires only about 3/4 inch of threads sticking out from finished wall. And it doesn't have much wiggle room, maybe one full turn of the threads. IF I leave a sweated copper stub out, I foresee a difficulty being able to then sweat on a threaded adapter because it will be so...
  18. Sokolq55

Why is this plumbed this way? Grohe twin ell

I’ve seen some shower/tub plumbing where the tub faucet line is routed in a U (sort like a p trap) from the valve to the tub stub out. Why is this done that way in some cases?
  19. Sokolq55

Grohe Rough-In valve - Routing tub spout outlet?

Does anyone have experience installing the Grohe Rapido Smartbox rough-in valve? I see that the outlets (A, B, C in the picture) are at 3, 9, and 12 o'clock - so what would be the best way to route the tub spout outlet if this is installed on center, short of a bunch of elbows. Seems like a...
  20. Sokolq55

How many codes did I break?

My finished manifold system. Got to say I’m quite proud of how it turned out, even though I am sure there’s dozens of things “not to code” y’all professionals will want to scream out loud at Also wanted to thank all the pros for all of the advice on this forum! What do y’all think?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks