Search results

1. Sokolq55

Does AAV have to be directly inline with through-floor drain?

Does an AAV have to sit directly in vertical line with a drain going through floor or can the vent be routed a bit to the side? Current through floor drain is off-center below sink and if I place an AAV directly over the the drain, I can't really go up much before hitting the bottom of the sink...
  2. Sokolq55

Tying drain into old disused vent vs just use AAV

Hello all! Kitchen sink is draining poorly. Flippers bypassed old sink vent. Can you advise on whether and also how: 1) Should I just put in an AAV coming off of the end of the P trap as in picture below (what adaptor would work here? Some sort of a T?) OR 2) Tie the existing drain into the...
  3. Sokolq55

What kind of “oil” on compression fittings

But what specifically is it? I assume like a kerosine/gasoline type light oil and not a light cooking oil?
  4. Sokolq55

What kind of “oil” on compression fittings

Lots of mentions about using a “drop of oil” with compression fittings. What specifically is meant by that? Can I use some faucet grease for the same purpose? And on a related note, is faucet grease the best thing to use for lubrication various rubber parts like o rings, etc.?
  5. Sokolq55

Are “push to connect” same thing as a shark bite?

I find it interesting with how sharkbite came out only in 2004 but it seems like maybe they don't have a patent on the exact concept since others are basically making the same thing? I mean the old garden hose quick connect is essentially the same concept but instead of barbs it uses balls and...
  6. Sokolq55

Are “push to connect” same thing as a shark bite?

I was shopping for some compression fitting supply line valves and noticed the overwhelming majority of supply line valves are of the “push to connect” flavor…presumably catering to DIYers at the big orange. I’m just curious, is that the same thing basically as a sharkbite with the back facing...
  7. Sokolq55

Moving sink drain laterally - need someone to please double check

Thanks! Yes sir to all of that. Good point on the screws - will need to switch out. After leaning the drywall piece back in place it’s a good bit off. I should have notched out the studs a bit.
  8. Sokolq55

Well, it’s not the most elegant thing in the world, but I think it should work, unless y’all tell me otherwise. Thanks for all the advice!
  9. Sokolq55

Challenging as in hard to do or as in you may screw up your venting or something like that? For the height I think it should work either way - I could just use a shorter or longer vertical tail piece as long as it’s not too high?
  10. Sokolq55

You’re saying instead of running a new horizontal completely within the wall cavity, just run a horizontal from existing san-tee on the outside of the wall but at a 45 angle to the p trap? I do have the wall opened up already, but I wish I read your post before I did that lol. It would still...
  11. Sokolq55

My original bathroom sink drain is not centered and the new vanity would need quite a bit of mods to make it work So I want to just move the drain. Can someone confirm what I have in the picture will work? I would remove the original drain tee, put in a new one but rotated left, run a short...
  12. Sokolq55

How to tie in old clay drain pipe into new sump pit

Replacing small old clay sump pit with a new, larger one. Perimeter drain channels connect to existing pit via clay pipe under the slab. Once I break up the old pit to enlarge the hole, how do I tie in the existing clay pipe to the new pit? I also worry that, when breaking things up, I may not...
  13. Sokolq55

Sump pump ghost turning it off

Float is free and moving fine. I think I’ll be getting one of the smart outlets for the pump that warns you if the pump isn’t running and has an attached water sensor, too. Moen now makes one but it’s not cheap. And those are obviously only good if the wifi isn’t out. Ultimately though, I...
  14. Sokolq55

Sump pump ghost turning it off

So this weird thing has happened for the third time in last few months. The sump pump works fine and then one day I’ll go to the basement and it’s flooding and the pump isn’t working. I tiptoe my way to the sump pump, gently lift the pit cover and the pump magically kicks on. I really don’t...
  15. Sokolq55

Basement utility sink drain pump continuously running

SOLVED In case some homeowner stumbles on this thread in the future. Over the years, so much gunk had accumulated on the bottom of the pump container that the float didn't have room to settle back down enough to turn off.
  16. Sokolq55

Basement utility sink drain pump continuously running

It will pump the water out, and then run dry. Is this usually the float switch being stuck? It's a Liberty Pumps model 403. I'll be taking it apart later today. PS - if I do end up having to replace it, can I just put a regular sump pump that will fit into the existing enclosure, or is the...
  17. Sokolq55

What length fittings to leave for Grohe fixtures?

Anyone else have experience with grohe fixtures?
  18. Sokolq55

What length fittings to leave for Grohe fixtures?

Also, what sized holes should I leave in the tile for these things? I'm trying to go as small as possible. Would 1" be too small?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks