Search results

1. Chevsky

Makeshift Heat Pump Lockout

Agreed. Two standards -- some brands want to energize the appropriate terminal on the condenser for heating, others for cooling. The CT80 has two terminals, O and B, as do many t-stats, so connect which ever does the right thing for heat vs cool. MrCool wants B to be energized for heating. So...
  2. Chevsky

MrCool Universal series is intended to be "universal" and non-communicating. So no, it doesn't communicatte with the coil. Yes, using a MrCool coil, MDUCC, on the Goodman furnace, which is just a coil (just has a TXV). The MrCool HyperHeat series is communicating, and I don't think it can be...
  3. Chevsky

I'm not sure what you mean about W/W1. If locking out the heat pump outside of the thermostat (this is all about when it's super cold, say <30'F, or I could set much lower, say 20'F), then the t-stat doesn't know about it--it still thinks it's running a heat pump in heating mode. So it has Y lit...
  4. Chevsky

I'm looking to install a MrCool Universal HP & coil, with Goodman 2-stage furnace, and use standard 24v thermostat wiring -- R, C, G, O, W2, W3, Y, Y2. So I think... Y/O will be 1st stage heat (MrCool heat pump) W2 will be 2nd stage heat (1st stage gas on the Goodman furnace) W3 will be 3rd...
  5. Chevsky

EDIT2 -- It's apparently confusing. Reworded. I'd like to setup a HEAT PUMP LOCKOUT. This is for a dual fuel system -- combo Heat Pump and Gas Furnace/2-stage. Could be creative thermostat wiring, or simple Johnson Controls A421 / other temp sensor and relay. For two purposes: • Generator...
  6. Chevsky

Coil/Furnace width, CFM 17.5" vs 24.5"

Fitter, So are you saying that with the 2-3ton condenser setup as 3ton, I only need 400cfm x 3 = 1200cfm anyway? So no need to be able to do 1600cfm? In that line of thinking, I was worried that with 803BN I'm sizing the furnace's blower at 100% of it's capability -- no room to tweak up if I...
  7. Chevsky

EDIT: I just noticed there's a GM9C800804BN -- which is a 1600 CFM version of the same 80 Kbtu, 80% afue, 17.5" wide cabinet!! So I guess my problem is solved! :D ---original comment--- Fitter, thank you for looking at these options for me. I appreciate your help. Let me share one other...
  8. Chevsky

GM9C800803BN is the 17.5" GM9C800805DX is the 24.5" BTW, Returns are (2) 12x6" stamped grates on wall, and (1) 24x7" floor grate -- the floor grate is thin/tall grid, so seems efficient for air flow.
  9. Chevsky

@fitter -- the choice is between 17.5" and 24.5" on BOTH coil and furnace. If I get a 17.5" coil, then I get a same-widrth 17.5" furnace. If I get the 24.5" coil, then I get the 24.5" furnace. The CFM rating is on the blower, and the ducts I measured for what CFM they can handle. The question is...
  10. Chevsky

EDIT: I just noticed there's a GM9C800804BN -- which is a 1600 CFM version of the same 80 Kbtu, 80% afue, 17.5" wide cabinet!! So I guess my problem is solved! (I changed 1200->1600 below) ---original post--- Looking for advice on selection of a width for Furnace+Coil pair -- 17.5" or 24.5" --...
  11. Chevsky

Dual-fuel heat pump (was 'Multiple zones')

Yeah... I'm not excited about switching as far as "comfort" goes. I too like low airflow and hot air from the registers. The industry marketing "more comfort with HP" I regard as hooey (creepy images of a couple with their child, in a stark white living room, smiling). I expect "windy" and cool...
  12. Chevsky

Among the many bullet-point-questions I'm compiling, this will be another: Q: If a problem arises in the HP (loss of charge, say), will the inside unit(s) continue to work on furnace-mode/gas/propane, despite [being above] the change-over °F set-point? Thanks for bringing this up. Same...
  13. Chevsky

Fingers crossed, and hoping if anything I'll only need to improve the flex's that connect the floor registers. Calculate, or measure static pressure? Large space (2300sf) with planned 42Kbtu/3.5ton has three existing main runs 18x8, 12x8, 12x8 inside, each has 1-2 90°s. So ~2000 CFM before...
  14. Chevsky

30% fed tax credit is capped at $2K per year -- that's why I put in $2k above. Also, there's a $500 per integrated control (one whole system -- 1 heat pump with N# of heads, constitutes one control. So if I did two completely separate systems I'd get 2 x $500), and then HP-water-heater is a...
  15. Chevsky

Maybe I only upgrade the main/large unit this time around. Here are some questions... Q: On a 2-zone setup, how are the refrigerant lines branched? In the OD frame, are they just tee'd off such that either or both coil units get hot fluid when their manual (install) valve is open, and the ID...
  16. Chevsky

Arrgh, this is not a simple decision. John G has me doubting all-electric due to slow recovery and high blower volume, inability to crank up when I just feel like it. That I have two spaces/systems makes high performance hard becuz cost gets high so quickly. I have 200 amp service, but there's a...
  17. Chevsky

That's what I've been thinking over the last 6 months! But I'm trying to break this conservative idea, and break free of the worry that these latest HPs can't cut it when it's very cold. www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcwIz6heDss These folks at Electrify Now, Electrify Maine, Mitsubishi & Daikin are...
  18. Chevsky

I'm now considering going full electric--no furnace backup--by using one of the better 18-20 SEER2 heat pumps that are rated down to -13°F. (Fireplace backup!). Maybe still only one outdoor HP with two indoor ducted coils/air-handlers, OR maybe two simple, completely separate units. This depends...
  19. Chevsky

Yes, a contractor will install, and will need to warranty the install. The manufacturer will warranty the equipment AND the labor to correct the equipment failure. Hmm, looking at Daikin's warranty, they don't seem to cover labor when replacing failed equipment. Me no like. Haier on the other...
  20. Chevsky

Hi Folks, I'm back. It's been 6 mos since I last asked, and since then I see a lot of installs via YouTube with one ODU and multiple IDU that are dual fuel. I'm trying to spec out at least one system, so I'll have a rough idea of equipment costs as a starting point while I ask for a quotes from...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks