Search results

1. wwhitney

Solar Panel Test.

Your meter is correctly configured to read current up to 200 mA and is showing 49.3 mA. You can also try changing the dial to the 10A setting, I think it should then show 0.049 A. If you know the currents you'll be measuring will always be 200 mA or less, you can leave the read lead in the...
  2. wwhitney

Voltage Drop/wire size for service entry

On the wire size, check a voltage drop calculator. There's no way to accommodate length other than upsizing wire. The wire size the calculator tells you will be linearly dependent on the actual load you enter into a calculator. On a 200A service for a residence, it's rare to ever draw more...
  3. wwhitney

Question about derating -3/4" liquid tight conduit - Three 12 UF-B cables - less than 2 foot distance

1) Entering from the back would be best if at all possible. Next best is the bottom. If you are going to use UF cable, you don't necessarily need any conduit, you could just stable UF to your siding. If that's judged to be subject to damage, you could mount a suitable (e.g. cedar) running...
  4. wwhitney

Solar Panel Test.

If the panel is pointed directly at the sun, and you use a volt meter across the leads, you'll get the open circuit voltage Voc. If you use an ammeter and short the leads, you'll get something close to the short circuit current, Isc (differing only by the resistance of the ammeter, not so clear...
  5. wwhitney

Need some UPC help on my rough in!

Or the following idea may be better, it would avoid any issue of the shower trap arm being too long. It's hard to draw on the photo given its perspective. So for further advice, a photo from overhead, or a plan view drawing, would be easier to use. Cheers, Wayne
  6. wwhitney

That would be a dry vent, a vent carrying no drainage. As for the simplest way to make it work, you could reroute the bathroom drains as in the diagram below (shower drain behind WC), if the red shower trap arm (from trap to the wye where the lav drain would join it) would be 5' or less. Also...
  7. wwhitney

So right now your drain connectivity pattern, starting upstream, is: laundry joins lav ; WC joins lav/laundry; shower joins lav/laundry/WC. For wet venting both the shower and WC it needs to be: shower joins lav; WC joins lav/shower ; and laundry joins lav/shower/WC. That's just the logical...
  8. wwhitney

Wet vent sketch - please check

Yes, it's fine for a 2" drain carrying only a lav and a tub to wet vent the WC. The lav is your drawing is dry vented, and the tub is wet vented by the lav. The WC fixture drain has no fall restrictions between the flange and the point where it is vented, but for the lav and the tub trap arms...
  9. wwhitney

Shower Drain 2"?

With a fitting saver type tool, isn't removing a bushing much harder than removing a pipe? On the rambit, the center disk has the ID of a piece of pipe (so different disks for schedules 30, 40, and 80), while the cutter has the OD of the pipe. But the ID of a bushing would be the OD of the...
  10. wwhitney

Cap for 1/2" angle stops and faucet supply line connections

Apparently not a typo, just rare to have an 1/2" MIP outlet: https://www.supplyhouse.com/Dahl-611-33-01-1-2-Nom-Compression-5-8-OD-x-1-2-Female-Solder-or-1-2-MIP-Angle-Stop-Isolation-Valve-Lead-Free-Chrome-Plated Thanks, supplyouse.com only shows 2 NPSM stops, so that also seems rare. But...
  11. wwhitney

Shower Drain 2"?

IPC, in use in OH, allows a 1.5" shower drain/trap for up to 5.7 GPM of shower heads (IIRC). Seems like most shower drains are 2" so you'd have to adapt down to 1.5" to make the existing work. Switching everything to 2" would be cleanest. What's the venting on the shower? If the 3x3x2 wye...
  12. wwhitney

Moving a toilet, need to plumb it

Indiana uses the 2006 (!) IPC, so the minimum vent size for a WC should be 1-1/2", half the minimum drain size for a WC. Cheers, Wayne
  13. wwhitney

Cap for 1/2" angle stops and faucet supply line connections

NPS is certainly the untapered version of NPT, but are supply stops with NPS outlets really a thing? I only found 1 supply stop at supplyhouse.com with a nominal NPT outlet; are you saying it may actually be NPS? [Edit: fix URL]...
  14. wwhitney

Wye installed for sink drain

Easiest is to use an under sink AAV kit, then at the wall the sink drain is already vented and can take the appropriate path to the wye. Or you can use a san-tee (in the usual orientation) at the wall behind the sink, with the AAV at the top, the trap arm coming in the side as usual, and the...
  15. wwhitney

Wye installed for sink drain

What drainage, if any, is coming down the stack from above? If there's no drainage from above (unlikely), then the stack could be your sink vent if you use a sanitary tee instead of a wye, and the trap is close enough so that the trap arm drops at most one pipe diameter from the trap to the...
  16. wwhitney

PEX-A installation

Hmm, that tool autorotates, so assuming the autorotation was working properly, I'm almost out of ideas on why it could leak. Are the tube ends definitely coaxial with the fitting ends? IIRC there are two stops opposite each other on each F1960 connection, so if the tube end is in contact...
  17. wwhitney

Washer Rough, A quick check if I am on the right path.

Pretty sure you'll need to cut them out and redo, after you figure out what was wrong with your technique. If you get a 2" fitting saver (rambit, etc) you could make just 3 cuts--remove the green fitting, the cleanout fitting, and cut the horizontal vent to the left of the joint. Assuming I've...
  18. wwhitney

PEX-A installation

OK, what kind of expander did you use? If manual, did you rotate between expansions? Cheers, Wayne
  19. wwhitney

PEX-A installation

My experience with different PEX fittings is limited, but doesn't the little black tab visible against the expansion ring mean it's an F1960 fitting? Cheers, Wayne
  20. wwhitney

PEX-A installation

The OP cut in the tee in the picture in photo 3, and it is leaking. How about a photo where the camera is pointed perpendicular to the plane of the tee? Were all of your cuts on the PEX square? Are the expansions rings fully seated on the end of the pipe? Are the expansion rings all touching...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks