Search results

1. temp945

Toilets gurgling when showering - partial clog in main line?

Update: I didn't have a tool that would remove the seized plug cap so I just waited for the plumber to take it off. Once he had it off it was apparent that the clog was on the house side. He snaked the line to the house and removed the blockage. He then finished the job by snaking to the street...
  2. temp945

Thanks for the suggestions. I opened one of the cleanouts that I installed (right below one of the WCs) and used a camera to look down the drain. There is no blockage before the stack, so the clog must be further down the main line. I have a couple of cleanouts installed in the crawlspace on the...
  3. temp945

Thanks again, Wayne. I should have mentioned that the photo I posted is a "before" photo. I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I did recognize that the unbanded rubber coupling had to go. I ended up replacing the entire cast iron stack with PVC and there is no longer a rubber coupling at all...
  4. temp945

Thanks for the comments, wwhitney. If it matters, the "sink" in the diagram is actually not really labelled correctly; this is a drain line coming from the kitchen and utility (laundry). I've attached a photo below that shows what I mean. I'd be surprised if the horizontal wet vent setup is...
  5. temp945

Thanks, Worth. I do have an exterior cleanout and it is burried under the grass. I found it a couple of years back when installing a french drain in the yard. I am guessing that you are suggesting to have a look inside the cleanout to see if it appears full of sewage, indicating that the...
  6. temp945

Hi all, Last night I was showering and heard a gurgling sound. I figured out that when I ran the shower that both toilets in the "Jack & Jill" (double) bathroom were gulping air from the bowl. When I tried flushing the toilet, it just filled with water and then slowly drained. I believe this...
  7. temp945

Toto CeFiONtect on Drake II - can't get it clean!

I tried a plastic razor blade with little success. I then resorted to alcohol with a bit more success. Hopefully the short exposure did not damage the bowl coating. I do not see any visible damage. However, there are still some hard deposits that do not want to come off. In particular, the...
  8. temp945

The dark marks do look like mold, but mold should be removed quite easily, no? I know for certain that no abrasive tools or products have been used on the toilet, only dish soap and a sponge. The instructions from Toto state not to use bleach or abrasive products like a pumice...
  9. temp945

I might start with a plastic razor blade and see how that goes. I definitely regret using the Fluidmaster system. I naively assumed that since it was advertised as a safe way of keeping the bowl clean that it would reduce the need for cleaning products. Wrong! Incidentally, the "ramps" where...
  10. temp945

I'm definitely going to stop using the Fluidmaster system. Any ideas on how to safely clean off the residue?
  11. temp945

I tried to find the SDS for the Flush N ' Sparkle to see if I could figure out the pH but could only find one for the bleach version. My guess is that the pH is not too harsh. Fluidmaster markets the system specifically to not damage the bowl, in contrast to the bleach version. I do not have a...
  12. temp945

Actually the non-washlet toilet has more use. My wife uses only the non-washlet bathroom and I only use the washlet bathroom. She is a full-time homemaker whereas I am away from home every day.
  13. temp945

Hi all, I finished my Jack-and-Jill bathroom remodel a while back (thanks to a lot of help from the good folks on this forum!). I installed two new Toto Drake II toilets. They both have the CeFiONtect bowl coating that is supposed to keep the bowl cleaner, longer. I also installed a...
  14. temp945

Pop up lav assembly: sealant on threads and/or gasket?

Hi all, I recently installed a couple of new lavatories. Everything went well with no leaks. Since then I have seen a couple of videos where the person uses pipe dope on the threads and/or rubber gasket (circled in red in my attached photo). What is the best practice? Do you use pipe dope on...
  15. temp945

PEX-A vs Copper (Texas)

Uponor specifies a minimum cut length of pipe of 2" (1/2" pipe) or 3" (3/4" pipe). But they state this is to ensure that the expander head does not damage the fittings. I think that they should update their documentation to discuss the effect that the distance between fittings has on freeze...
  16. temp945

Ideas for tricky water heater line routing: crawlspace to slab transition

Hi Wayne, Thanks for your ideas. The 45-degree angle idea could work. I'm still a bit concerned about having exposed piping in the utility room. Aesthetics is one issue. But I'd also want to ensure that the PEX could not be damaged by being hit with something or by UV light. So far I'm at a...
  17. temp945

Ideas for tricky water heater line routing: crawlspace to slab transition

Hi all, I recently swapped out all the old 1960s galvanized steel piping in my crawlspace and replaced with Uponor PEX. Unfortunately, there is a small bit of galvanized remaining that runs from the crawlspace wall into the utility room where the water heater is located. The utility room is on...
  18. temp945

My PRV disappeared! Can the city manage water pressure without PRVs?

I have a hazy recollection that the ground was dug up nearby the meter box when the city was doing the work a while back. It's a treasure hunt :p
  19. temp945

Upgrading plumbing in 1950’s ranch

Amazon has the chrome renovation plate for $23: https://www.amazon.com/Delta-RP29827SS-Shower-Renovation-Stainless/dp/B00164VTN6?th=1
  20. temp945

My PRV disappeared! Can the city manage water pressure without PRVs?

To be clear, I did not install the original PRV. I discovered it when I looked inside the meter box. The reason I went poking around is because I suspected my water pressure was a bit high, and testing it confirmed my suspicion. Google led me to search for a PRV, and I found one inside the meter...