How to keep an ABS kitchen drain quiet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rossn

Reaction score
How do I keep the kitchen drain quiet?

I will be popping up through the subfloor into the kitchen sink cabinet in the bay left of the capped ABS. The room below is a multi-use movie room, which we're trying to keep quiet, and I am sure there will be movies rolling when, for instance, the dishwasher is running.

I have another ABS drain with a 6" drop (wall not yet closed) and it is loud. Should I be using a double 45 to get most of the elevation, instead of a wide sweep elbow? I don't have much clearance between the downstairs wall and the ABS.

1679780627614.png

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Replace the ABS with cast iron?

Wrap the ABS in mass loaded vinyl?

Wrap cast iron in mass loaded vinyl?

Basically, add mass.

Cheers, Wayne

Rossn

Reaction score
Replace the ABS with cast iron?

Wrap the ABS in mass loaded vinyl?

Wrap cast iron in mass loaded vinyl?

Basically, add mass.

Cheers, Wayne
Hey, thanks Wayne. At one point I had seen some stick-on material, and wasn't sure how effective it was, or how much should be used. Do you know of a reputable product for the wrap? I don't know much about cast iron for short runs, but will check and see if it is a practical option. I am thinking it may be more than can be practical at thes point.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
We've used the stick on material on copper and it was worthless. I wouldn't waste your money on stick up because the mass just isn't there.
Cast iron is the only thing we use above the first floor.
If customer doesn't want cast iron because of higher cost, we just say "goodby".

Rossn

Reaction score
We've used the stick on material on copper and it was worthless. I wouldn't waste your money on stick up because the mass just isn't there.
Cast iron is the only thing we use above the first floor.
If customer doesn't want cast iron because of higher cost, we just say "goodby".
Thank you. I fully believe and appreciate what you are saying.

I don't know much about cast iron, other than it's unsurpassed for noise. Are no-hub fittings and pipe with appropriate fernco style couplings the standard means of joining these days?

In this situation, you would run cast iron from the utility room (a couple feet right of the picture shown) all the way into kitchen sink cavity, then transition to ABS above cabinet floor height?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well Ive used ABS and Cast Iron on homes .
I gave up trying to quiet plastic pipe 30 years ago, I recomend going to cast or forget about noise . . Its a personal choice Its expensive but worth it to many.
If I was plumbing a new custom home for a client I might even put a disclaimer because people do complain of noise, but I see tons of ABS on 2 story homes in fact that is about all I see

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks