Vent Stack questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Rbt238

Reaction score
(Residence in Florida, and before I call the local Bldg Inspection office and get the usual run around, I wanted to get some practical input from Pro Plumbers)
I plan to have a Metal Roof installed sometime next year and currently have a 3" stack on one part of my roof and a 2" stack on another area.
I want to eliminate as many roof protrusions as possible since I've heard of issues with how Metal Roofs are sometimes flashed around them.
I read that at least one vent is required by the International Residential Code (IRC P3114.7): “Within each plumbing system, not less than one stack vent or vent stack shall extend outdoors to the open air.”
Questions are,
(1) Can all the stacks be connected in attic to a single stack going out the roof?

(2) And if so is there a Diameter size requirement on the one stack?

(3) Or if I have one stack through the roof, can I put an Air Admittance Valve like the Oatey Sure-Vent apparatus on a Toilet stack?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Plumbing code expects to see the same area going through the roof, as out to the street on the sewer.
A three bath home can be done with 3", a four bath home has been bumped to 4".
With venting through the roof to handle positive and negative pressures, a lot of local codes will allow some fixtures to be vented with an AAV.

dwv_b2.jpg

Venting is allowed to be tied together in the attic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks