New Toilet Tie In

Users who are viewing this thread

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
what about a 3" fitting on the long pipe that goes into the right side of the wye. could use a LT 3x3x2 LT tee? i would have to redirect the drain up stream to tie in but it think that is ok?
You can add a 3x3x2 (or 3x3x1-1/2) combo between the two elbows just upstream of the wye branch inlet to bring the drain of a single lav in there. It won't mess up the wet venting.

can the side inlet 90 in the pic be use just as a vent for the toilet? assuming i can redirect the sink drain.
Not in the current orientation (dry vent take offs have to be vertical, not horizontal), and a dry vent for the WC would have to connect between the flange and that wye where the other drains join. But you don't need a dry vent for the WC, you can rely on the dry vent in the other bathroom to wet vent the WC. The IPC allows wet venting for up to 2 bathrooms at once.

That quarter bend with straight side inlet is only useful for two things: if the side inlet is vertical (at least 45 degree above plumb), then in the IPC you could use it as a dry vent takeoff with the quarter bend used for drainage (although if it's other than a WC , the quarter bend would have to be horizontal so the takeoff is straight up). Or you could use it to connect a small dry vent to a larger dry vent, when at least 6" above all the fixture flood rims.

Cheers, Wayne

Claraarcher

Reaction score
You can add a 3x3x2 (or 3x3x1-1/2) combo between the two elbows just upstream of the wye branch inlet to bring the drain of a single lav in there. It won't mess up the wet venting.

Not in the current orientation (dry vent take offs have to be vertical, not horizontal), and a dry vent for the WC would have to connect between the flange and that wye where the other drains join. But you don't need a dry vent for the WC, you can rely on the dry vent in the other bathroom to wet vent the WC. The IPC allows wet venting for up to 2 bathrooms at once.

That quarter bend with straight side inlet is only useful for two things: if the side inlet is vertical (at least 45 degree above plumb), then in the IPC you could use it as a dry vent takeoff with the quarter bend used for drainage (although if it's other than a WC , the quarter bend would have to be horizontal so the takeoff is straight up). Or you could use it to connect a small dry vent to a larger dry vent, when at least 6" above all the fixture flood rims.

Cheers, Wayne
ok let me see if i got this right as its getting a bit technical for me

1. the vent in the master wet vents the master sink (sink drain is 1.5 pipe waste into 3" waste) and that ties into a 2" vent via a san tee. That takes care of master toilet and sink.

2. hall bath i can rely on the master vent so all i need to do is tie in the hall bath vanity a little upstream - no issue with the venting overall

What do i do with the old 3" copper vent that used to vent the hall bath toilet? its still there, see pic. That used to wet vent the vanity and toilet. i assume i can put a transition there and tie the vanity in as discussed above.

i thought it would be an issue if the only vent that ties into the 3" line is a 1.5" sink drain for 2 toilets and 3 sinks (one in master and double vanity in hall bath)?

The 3" copper goes up above ceiling and picks up the other vent line then out the roof. i don't think this smatters as i am not touching anything above the ceiling.

guess i could cut out all that copper and scrap it :)

Thanks!!

Attachments

• old vent.jpg
    old vent.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 111

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Terminology wise--dry vent means the vent path to the roof has no section that carries drainage too. One lav in each bathroom is almost always dry vented. Wet vent means the vent path goes through sections that carry drainage to reach a dry vent.

1) If the master is the new bathroom (not the one with the last picture, e.g.) then the lav is dry vented and it wet vents the WC and presumably the shower/tub.

2) The hall bath lav needs a dry vent (because vents are always at the elevation of the trap, and the wet vent from the master bath is under the floor). Then the hall bath lav drain can join the master bath branch drain where ever. The master bath lav can wet vent the hall bath WC, or if the hall bath lav joins upstream of the hall bath WC as previously discussed, sort of both of them are doing it. The hall bath shower/tub is presumably dry vented separately.

3) You need it to dry vent the hall bath lav. And you also need that 3" copper to have a path to drain out if any water ever got in there (i.e. you can't just cap the bottom). So you either need to extend the 3" downward to join the new 3" plastic (it can serve as the lav drain as well, assuming that horizontal copper to the left is the lav trap arm), or you follow it up until it connects to another vent and replace all of that with a smaller size (2" or 1-1/2") so you don't need to deal with bringing another 3" drain into that joist bay.

IPC would allow a single 1.5" vent to vent two bathrooms, but each lav needs a dry vent generally, so really the minimum is two 1.5" vents, at the elevation of the lav flood rims (6" above that they could turn horizontal and combine).

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks