Mtnxtreme

Reaction score
Ok so test results are :
Iron 2ppm
PH 7.8
Alkalinity 180
Hardness 400
Flow 17 seconds 4-1/2 gallons

We are only concerned with the iron staining, not drinking the water and watering plants and this was recommended, will it work or can someone recommend something ?

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know Terminox. I don't recognize the valve. A backwashing filter sounds like a good idea. Some media is very dense and needs very high gpm backwash. Some media is lighter and less effective. I think they all depend on the characteristics of the raw water to work will with or without injection of chemical before the iron filter.

For discussions of backwashing iron filters, try these searches:
Katalox
Filox

I could list more, but those should get you started.

Mtnxtreme

Reaction score
I don't know Terminox. I don't recognize the valve. A backwashing filter sounds like a good idea. Some media is very dense and needs very high gpm backwash. Some media is lighter and less effective. I think they all depend on the characteristics of the raw water to work will with or without injection of chemical before the iron filter.

For discussions of backwashing iron filters, try these searches:
Katalox
Filox

I could list more, but those should get you started.
So from what you can tell you this Terminox is an aeration type unit that backwashes and those you listed are similar to the Terminox but brands that that are more proven basically ?!

All Fug Duck

Reaction score
Interesting it says, The Terminox® ISM removes iron, rust, sulfur, manganese, dirt, turbidity, tastes, odors and even chlorine. makes me wonder what media they use. when I buy anything, I want to know I can get parts later on without a hassle. to me, Fleck not only makes a great unit, but you can get parts later all over the internet. I'm not an expert BTY, but my water is some of the worst and the Fleck units seem to be very well built as they take a beating here.

Mtnxtreme

Reaction score
Interesting it says, The Terminox® ISM removes iron, rust, sulfur, manganese, dirt, turbidity, tastes, odors and even chlorine. makes me wonder what media they use. when I buy anything, I want to know I can get parts later on without a hassle. to me, Fleck not only makes a great unit, but you can get parts later all over the internet. I'm not an expert BTY, but my water is some of the worst and the Fleck units seem to be very well built as they take a beating here.
I’m gonna ask what media it uses. What do the fleck units use, do you get options, and is there a link. ?

Reach4

Reaction score
Manganese dioxide takes a very large backwash. Long-lived. It is dense, and it should have garnet approximately fill the bottom dome. Ask about that, and upgrade.

Backwash -- I would want a backwash of maybe 25 gpm/sqft (https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ng-questions-or-mangox-and-preferences.54973/). which would be about 20 gpm for a 12 inch tank. Most pump systems will not do that. You cannot rely on the pressure tank being full at the start of backwash.

There is lighter media that is coated. Greensand has a very light coating. Katalox light has more coating. And the solid medias are not coated -- so they are dense, but durable.

A 12 inch tank has 0.785 sqft of cross section.

Mtnxtreme

Reaction score
Manganese dioxide takes a very large backwash. Long-lived. It is dense, and it should have garnet approximately fill the bottom dome. Ask about that, and upgrade.

Backwash -- I would want a backwash of maybe 25 gpm/sqft (https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ng-questions-or-mangox-and-preferences.54973/). which would be about 20 gpm for a 12 inch tank. Most pump systems will not do that. You cannot rely on the pressure tank being full at the start of backwash.

There is lighter media that is coated. Greensand has a very light coating. Katalox light has more coating. And the solid medias are not coated -- so they are dense, but durable.

A 12 inch tank has 0.785 sqft of cross section.
Maybe I’m better off with this, it has a fleck valve, comes with Katalox media and is cheaper ?!

Reach4

Reaction score
"customized for manual backwash without using electricity" is weird. Normally those are scheduled with an electrically-powered timer.

The 5600 does not have enough backwash ability for a 10 inch tank with KL, but does have for a 9-inch tank. You would want 6 to 7 GPM for the backwash I think. Ask them not to put a 5 GPM DLFC in there, but to go bigger.

index.php

Mtnxtreme

Reaction score
"customized for manual backwash without using electricity" is weird. Normally those are scheduled with an electrically-powered timer.

The 5600 does not have enough backwash ability for a 10 inch tank with KL, but does have for a 9-inch tank. You would want 6 to 7 GPM for the backwash I think. Ask them not to put a 5 GPM DLFC in there, but to go bigger.

index.php
That’s just an option I wouldn’t order it manual, the filter that is being sold on that link states it’s 8.2 gpm with a programmable fleck valve ?! Unless I’m not understanding it correctly ?

Reach4

Reaction score
I am talking backwash. DLFC is the Drain Line Flow Control

Reach4

Reaction score

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Personally, I would say to avoid this valve. It may work, but not a fan... there are much better options available.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks