Submersible pump availability

Users who are viewing this thread

RonL1

Reaction score
My current pump ( Meyers predator 8gpm) has been down the hole for around 25 years.
It's been driving my geothermal heat pump so it has thousands apon thousands of cycles. And I know, don't fix it if it ain't broke, but sooner or later it's going to give up. Which leads to the problem of availability of a replacement. No one sells these around here anymore unless it's ordered. So when it goes bad im stuck without water for days. OR, its go to local big box hd or lowes or tractor supply and get what i would imagine is an infererior pump. Id order one and store it, but that means keeping it in abucket of water... in itself a, real pain, and who knows if it would work when you did put it down the well. Are any of thebig box brands actually any good ? .or what is the best thing to do to be ready for the eventual failure. (Just a standard 2 wire, 220v pump, 45feet down. )

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The box stores will have a 10 GPM pump, but probably not a 7-8 GPM pump. From 45' a 10 GPM, 1/2HP, or 3/4HP will probably be better than the 8 GPM pump. The box store Flotec pumps are made by the same company that makes Myers. Just be sure to get the one with the plastic end bell and motor adapter instead of iron, as iron will turn into a rust ball. You won't find any brand of pump that will be as good as the one you bought 25+ years ago. As was said, to make pumps last longer use a CSV to eliminate the cycling. You are just lucky to have gotten that long a run letting the pump cycle with a heat pump like that.

RonL1

Reaction score
Thanks valveman, I don't see any flotec being carried by my local hd or lowes or tractor supply... maybe northern tool.... but I had started thinking about a grundfos 3 inch 2 wire 10 gpm. The soft start feature would be nice for when we lose power and the generator kicks in. Plus the built in dry well protection would be a good plus. They seem to be a good buy. What do you know about them at this point.. looking at past threads I'm not certain. And can a csv be put on one ?
I'll probably post about total head, not sure what I actually have, but the 10 gpm 1/2 hp, i would think would be fine.
I dont have much info on the well. Just 65 feet deep. 6 inch casing at 40 feet. 35gpm. I'm assuming pump is at 40 ft. 55 feet from well head to 80 gallon pressure tank. Drilled in 1985. No idea of static number.

Reach4

Reaction score
Can work with a CSV.

You would want to add a flow inducer. If you want information on selecting materials for a flow inducer sleeve for a Grundfos SQ 3-inch pump, say so.

In the SQ pumps, there are several versions of the 10 gpm 1/2 hp pumps

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If casing only goes to 40' and you set the pump at 40' you should not need a flow inducer, but it never hurts. The SQ pumps seem to be lasting fairly well and work fine with a CSV. Cost seems to be the main downside compared to 4" pumps. Either way a 10 GPM, 1/2HP sounds about right.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would think the 5sq05-140 or 10sq05-150 for 40/60 or 50/70 pressure switch. Depends on what kind of gpm that thermal system takes. I am presuming that well is not just for the geo thermal. If just geothermal, then I would consider a pump with less lift/flow.

10sq05-150 for 30/50 or 35/55 pressure switch. They don't really make a 35/55 pressure switch, but you can adjust a 30/50 or 40/60 up or down.

RonL1

Reaction score
Well. (Ha,ha) the decision was taken out of my hands ... my pump just gave up... right when I was explaining to my wife my dilemma of selecting.
I was relegated to whatever I could find. With 95 degree Temps outside, I couldn't let the love of my life go without air ... or water. The best alternate that I could find was at tractor supply, a 10 gpm 1/2 horse countryline. I would have thought it would out preform the old one of 8gpm . But it recovers from 38 to 58 psi with the heat pump running at 4 gpm, at about the same as the old.. maybe even a bit longer.
I was able to see the pump was 40 feet down, with the static water line 16 feet above it. I would have liked to see it a bit higher.
So 7 to 10 years from now, I'll know to maybe drop it down... right now the priority was to get a new pump running. All in all about 5 hours, with a ru. Around from tractor supply sending me to 2 stores as they said they had one but it was a 3/4 horse.

Reach4

Reaction score
Good deal. If you put the pump higher, you might pump less sediment. If you put the pump lower, you could pump the water level down to the pump, depending on how fast your well delivers water.

Incredible timing on your research. No clue?

2stupid2fixit

Reaction score
I bought a super cheap pump on ebay for $169, no regrets in 2 years . Check my name for posts on this. Family of 3, 2 female to calc the demand. To be fair I did the pump swap myself where i was not worried if I would have to do it again soon. but its pushing years almost.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks