2 yo. AOS 50g Vertex Heater; Power light on, but Control Panel/leds are NOT

Users who are viewing this thread

Whoodle

Reaction score
hello. As mentioned, I have a 2 year old AO Smith Vertex hwh, and noticed today that there's no hot water. look at unit, the orange lighted on/off switch is working, but when I push the hotter/cooler temp buttons on the control panel (which 'wakes up' the settings, lets you adjust temp, etc), NOTHING lights up....the panel is dead, which my genius deduces is why I have no hot water. I unplugged it for a few minutes & plugged it back, that didn't fix it; I'm stumped

But here's a weird tie-in; yesterday I turned off my well pump and water supply valve for about 2 hours when I installed a new sillcock (patting self on back!). But that a ) works perfectly and b) is connected to water supply pipe BEFORE it hits the softener and iron filter, so the outside water is not treated. I opened all faucets in case it was air-locked or something, nothing...and I'd think that that stuff might generate an error code on the control panel, not disable it altogether.

Turned on water, all is good...so I thought. I've cut water supply a 5-10 times in this house, never has an effect on water heater...it's not like the tank drained and it overheated or anything. Is this just a coincidence? I don't know if it was heating water after the sillcock or not; we took showers, but that could have been previously heated/stored water....I just noticed it today.

Any thoughts? I think/hope this unit, including the electronics, are covered by warranty, but it's a Saturday, and I don't want to pay labor charges if I don't have to...this is a VERY $$ 50g unit, I don't expect this kind of failure! Thanks for your advice!

Fitter30

Reaction score
This heater has a high water temp sensor factory set at 195° once tripped the gas valve has to be replaced. There is no resetting this control. Page 33 of the manual.

Reach4

Reaction score
This heater has a high water temp sensor factory set at 195° once tripped the gas valve has to be replaced. There is no resetting this control. Page 33 of the manual.
Page 32 of the manual says
HIGH WATER TEMPERATURE SHUT OFF SYSTEM
This water heater is equipped with a manually resettable type high
limit (Energy Cutoff) sensor. The high limit switch interrupts the main
burner gas flow should the water temperature reach 195°F (91°C).
The high limit can be manually reset when the water temperature
drops below 140°F (60°C). After cooling the tank temperature, turn
off the water heater for at least 10 seconds by using the switch on
top of the unit. Turn on the water heater. If this fails to correct the
problem, contact your plumber or service representative.

Page 33 says
HIGH WATER TEMPERATURE SHUTOFF SYSTEM
A high temperature limit switch or ECO (Energy Cut Off) in the tank
is used to shut off the unit if the water temperature exceeds 195°F
(91°C). The ECO is a single use switch and requires complete
replacement of the entire gas control valve/thermostat. If the ECO
should acuate, the water heater cannot be used until the gas control
valve/thermostat is replaced by a qualified service agent. Contact the
local water heater supplier or service agency for service information.

Seems inconsistent. I wonder which is "acuate". :D

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Page 32 of the manual says

Page 33 says

Seems inconsistent. I wonder which is "acuate". :D

Good information.... that brand is junk and you could not get me to install one of them

on a bright note at least the heater is still under warranty and the parts are probably available or can be ordered from the place you bought the heater from.......

but god help you if you bought this off Amazon...

call the plumber who installed it and hope he is willing to work on it....

good luck

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks