Bathtub sinking on one side.

Users who are viewing this thread

SteV

Reaction score
I live in a single wide mobile home, built sometime in the 70's. I noticed my bathtub was lower a little over an inch on the sides against the wall. I decided to remove the drain, & pull the whole tub out to see what the problem is. The drain spins forever, with never actually coming out. As I was trying to remove the drain, the tub sank even further down, suddenly. The tub is made out of steel, I *think* because magnets stick to it.

Any thoughts on how to get the drain/flange out? My next idea is to just go under the trailer, but it's in my neighbor's yard which is fenced off. So until I can get ahold of her I can't.

Attaching pictures of the drain, and of the gap on the wall before & after it sank suddenly.

Attachments

• Big gap 2.jpg
    Big gap 2.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 211
  • Big gap 3.jpg
    Big gap 3.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 127
  • big gap 6.jpg
    big gap 6.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Drain 1.jpg
    Drain 1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 112
  • Drain 3.jpg
    Drain 3.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 131
  • Small gap 2.jpg
    Small gap 2.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 110
  • Small gap 3.jpg
    Small gap 3.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 124

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For a tub to drop that much, I'm wondering how much of the floor is still intact! If things have been leaking for a long time, there may be little underneath holding it up.

Usually, there's a ledger board on the long side against the wall to help hold that edge up, and the front apron holds that side, so if those are intact, it should not move although if it wasn't supported well on the bottom, it might flex some.

SteV

Reaction score
If it is spinning, I would imagine the threads are stripped. Can you pull it straight out with pliers?
No, I tried with all my might. I'm afraid I'll break the cross in the drain.

For a tub to drop that much, I'm wondering how much of the floor is still intact! If things have been leaking for a long time, there may be little underneath holding it up.

Usually, there's a ledger board on the long side against the wall to help hold that edge up, and the front apron holds that side, so if those are intact, it should not move although if it wasn't supported well on the bottom, it might flex some.
Yeah I'm really afraid of that haha. It moves really easily. Feels like I could just pull it out if the drain would just come up. The floor all around the tub feels very strong at least. No weird sounds or anything

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks