Can toilet parts smell?

Users who are viewing this thread

Charles2

Reaction score
An experienced, professional plumber recently rebuilt my girlfriend's toilet tank with I guess mostly Fluidmaster parts. Fill valve, flush valve, flapper and foam flapper float. Now the bathroom has kind of a mildew smell. She's already filled the tub and lav traps to be sure they aren't dry.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The parts themselves could have an odor, but it would likely be a rubber smell of the flapper.. tho I doubt it would be detectable after being submerged. Did they remove the toilet tank to change the flush valve? Perhaps there was something there or behind the tank on the wall like dust bunnies that are now giving off an odor?

Charles2

Reaction score
The parts themselves could have an odor, but it would likely be a rubber smell of the flapper.. tho I doubt it would be detectable after being submerged. Did they remove the toilet tank to change the flush valve? Perhaps there was something there or behind the tank on the wall like dust bunnies that are now giving off an odor?
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately neither of us observed whether the tank was removed. But I can tell you that the tank is now, and was before the rebuild, right up against the wall.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I bet that proximity to the wall is the culprit. Something was disturbed there.

Charles2

Reaction score
I've gathered a few more details: The plumbers visited twice. First for the rebuild, then a second time to replace the new flapper which was hanging up. Girlfriend says there was no smell after the first visit! The smell only started after the second visit. Although the top of the flapper is submerged, isn't the underside open to the air?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its open to the air via a passage through your toilet bowl. Test that out by placing a layer of Plastic Wrap over the bowl under the seat ... and over the tank under the lid to seal them off.

Just place some tape over the clear plastic wrap so nobody tries to use it accidentally. The plastic should isolate any parts of the internal toilet parts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks