Pressure testing my waterlines

Users who are viewing this thread

Paul Blakely

Reaction score
I'm finally getting around to doing an air pressure test on the PEX waterlines I've installed. I probably should have tied the hot and cold together before running them into the empty hot water tank, but this should work anyway.

Except I'm having a very frustrating time trying to identify why I can't hold the pressure. I've attached the pressure gauge to the exterior faucet for my test.
Almost all the rough-in lines are capped off, except the laundry that has a shut-off for both hot and cold in the box. AND except for two exterior faucets that have anti-siphon valves attached. Could it be that the anti-siphon valves are allowing the pressure to drop?
Thanks for any assistance.

Attachments

• air pressure gauge.jpg
    air pressure gauge.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 88
  • Faucet with anti-siphon.jpg
    Faucet with anti-siphon.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 84

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Yes, probably the anti-siphon valves are the issue.
There is hardly any reason to air test first, just add water; which you can't do via an antisiphon valve either.

Paul Blakely

Reaction score
Yes, probably the anti-siphon valves are the issue.
There is hardly any reason to air test first, just add water; which you can't do via an antisiphon valve either.
I thought it was standard operating procedure to do an air test first to avoid a mess. But since I haven't insulated and can still see all the lines, wet test may be the most efficient way to proceed.
Thanks for the response. I was looking at my email to see if anyone had responded didn't receive any headup. I just came here to the forum and saw your response this morning. Thanks so much.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Air tests are good for certain situations. Mostly not needed. When I do a large pro press or solder job I do air test to make sure nothing was missed. Hydronic lines that will be buried. On a remodel just turning the water on should be fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks