Buying from Box store vs.

Users who are viewing this thread

OFDPOS

Reaction score
Is there a difference in the TOTO toilets buying from Home Depot/Lowes vs say factory direct TOTO or online plumbing places like Build direct or Plumbersstock.com ?

Would like to get the TOTO CST776 elongated for the main bathroom .
and TOTO CST775 round in the guest bathroom.

Trying to figure out the exact # for the Glaze ones .

Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't think TOTO has different grades of product.
Shipping to your door means some little guy or gal is going to drop it on the curb, and maybe it won't break.
I used to ship out of eight states, from New York, Florida, Texas, Colorado, California, Georgia, Washington, Wisconsin.
I was breaking one out of five shipments.

The good glaze has the letter "G" in the product number.

When I pick up the same products up from a plumbing supplier, they are perfect. They know how to ship and unload without smashing their inventory.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For normally stocked items, some of the big box stores negotiate a customized version of what they stock. They may buy the stuff by the railroad car full in volume. Sometimes, they may make slight change requests to get their price down. If the item has the exact same part number as you can get elsewhere (don't go just by the product name), it's probably identical, but if not, it MIGHT be slightly different. THey will also have the manufacturer sometimes put a unique part number on it so they don't have to price match.

For items you have to special order, and aren't normally stocked, it's more likely that they'll be the same item.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Suggestion...before you leave the store, take a close look and make sure that the items are intact. Porcelain is brittle. It's fairly tough, but not if it gets dropped!

OFDPOS

Reaction score
Suggestion...before you leave the store, take a close look and make sure that the items are intact. Porcelain is brittle. It's fairly tough, but not if it gets dropped!
Yep, last time ordered 2 Kohler Wellworth Classic and didn't inspect , not that we would have noticed. But once installed one of the toilets bowl was not right .
Not my photos, but this is exactly what it looked like.

So yes will definitely inspect before leaving store.

yep1553.jpg
yep1554.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Not sure about TOTO, but a LOT of items, even Kohler, appear to go to HD without a final inspection, (yOU become the final inspector), and have had customers receive items that would NEVER have gone to a wholesaler. In fact Kohler said what I observed would NEVER have left their factory, but they did.

OFDPOS

Reaction score
Well ordered the 2 TOTO , both CST776 one ADA and the other standard .
Will unbox both and inspect before leaving store.

Thanks for your help and will post up once installed.

OFDPOS

Reaction score
Just installed both toilets this afternoon. Start to finish 2 hours 15 minutes. Could of been done faster , but being anal as I am on everything needs to be clean and prepped before next step.
First impression like them , had to shim both.
By the picture the lid doesn't look like it lines up with the tank, but that is on both toilets so I guess it's not an oops on the one.

Will see how the one in the master bathroom works in the morning , then next day or two see how the other one does ! lol

11.jpg

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hope you like 'em-- I'm a big Toto fan. Nice to have a product that just works -- virtually never clogs, good bowl wash.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Especially on a tiled floor, don't forget the final step of the caulk around the front of the bowl-floor joint. The anchor bolts only hold so much, and the porcelain to porcelain has little friction. Plus, plumbing code in most places calls for it. It not only helps hold the toilet in place, but it keeps crud from accumulating underneath that could start to smell, and would be a major pain to clean up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks