Kinetico Model 60 issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve P.

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1993 vintage Model 60. Its been re-bed a few times, but lately a couple of issues have come up.

1. It wont change over to the next tank automatically, I have to do that manually daily. This is a non-electric model.

2. When the cycle starts, if there is any water running in the house there will be a lot of dark water for a few minutes. When I run it manually, I make sure no one is running water. We typically wait till the cycle is complete before running water again. Sometimes we get the accidental toilet flush.

I have inspected the "water meters" and they flow freely. The valves inside also move freely and everything is very clean. When it cycles, it takes the same amount of time around 25-30 minutes.

Any tips or advise would be very helpful.

Steve

WorldPeace

Reaction score
Steve,
I am relatively new to this, but I'll try to help as I have done a few months of research.

Kinetico is a really overpriced product, considering water softeners are pretty much standardized these days. Water softeners simply consist of resin beads, a tank to hold them in, and a controller to direct the flow of water. Everything else is marketing. I wouldn't necessarily buy their products but a good website to learn about water softeners is here. Got tons of helpful information.

It looks like your controller is malfunctioning. Kinetico replacement parts are expensive to replace. You have to buy them through Kinetico and they apparently charge an arm and a leg. Search this forum and there are very similar posts to yours.

Hopefully, someone could chime in with suggestions on how to repair your water softener. But, if it can't be fixed, consider replacing your unit with a solid brand that has a Fleck or Autotrol controller. It'll only cost about $700, and it'll last just as long as the Kinetico.

Steve P.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I know they are high priced. This one came with the house when I bought it. If its an easy fix, I will repair it. If its a bigger/expensive issue, I will consider your replacement suggestions.

Since I posted yesterday, the water is not metering. The control disk has stayed in the same position since my original post. When I inspected the top section, both turbine wheels and associated gears seemed to be moving freely. This issue was intermittent, now its constant.

Steve P.

Reaction score
I was hoping to get some technical advice, but my only reply so far is from someone trying to sell me something. I posted something similar a year or so ago and didnt get much then either.

If anyone has some "helpful" advice that would be welcome. Thank you!

bingow

Reaction score
Newbie here, ignorant of the Kinetico except for their expensive, proprietary nature. Considering that, why not instead of putting more money, effort, and likely delays in resuscitating a 28 year old system, bite the bullet for something more easily supported?

WorldPeace

Reaction score
Steve,

I agree with Bingow. Why not just replace the unit? It seems like you would save an incredible amount of time. If you really manually change it per day, that's a lot of time. With a new system, you would only need to change the salt maybe twice a year. Further, you wouldn't have to spend days (or even months) to figure out how to repair the Kinetico.

By the way, have you checked out YouTube for help on repairing the Kinetico? There are several videos of other homeowners showing how to repair Kinetico controllers.

I think you'll have a hard time finding professional contractors who can help because Kinetico is a proprietary system. Only their technicians will have experience repairing them and I doubt they will be willing to offer advice since that's their livelihood.

I was hoping to get some technical advice, but my only reply so far is from someone trying to sell me something. I posted something similar a year or so ago and didnt get much then either.

If anyone has some "helpful" advice that would be welcome. Thank you!

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1993 vintage Model 60. Its been re-bed a few times, but lately a couple of issues have come up.

1. It wont change over to the next tank automatically, I have to do that manually daily. This is a non-electric model.

2. When the cycle starts, if there is any water running in the house there will be a lot of dark water for a few minutes. When I run it manually, I make sure no one is running water. We typically wait till the cycle is complete before running water again. Sometimes we get the accidental toilet flush.

I have inspected the "water meters" and they flow freely. The valves inside also move freely and everything is very clean. When it cycles, it takes the same amount of time around 25-30 minutes.

Any tips or advise would be very helpful.

Steve
This company sells replacement parts.. Sounds like if its not advancing there is an issue with the Pawls.

https://kinetishop.com/product/kinetico-pawl-set/

GoWater

Reaction score
Kinetico is top of the line. The reason why it is proprietary is because they have patented their product. Apple is proprietary as well, same reason. When you spend millions and millions of dollars in R & D you patent your product.
Kinetico is 100% made in the USA.

Other softeners are “pretty much standardized theses days”. Agreed. There is also a reason why other softeners cost less, simply you get what you pay for. Other softeners do not last decades, you don’t rebuild them, you take them to the dump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks