Backwash water disposal from Culligan softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Glory

Reaction score
We installed a Culligan softener. I was not here when Culligan installed it and nearly fainted to see it was set up to backwash into the basement sump pump, which is there simply for the whole basement dehumidifier to drain into, and which empties out onto my precious lawn. We are on municipal water and sewer. Culligan, who I would NEVER recommend, tells us we need a plumber to address this. The plumber talked like this was a really big deal, p-traps and airlock, etc., etc. and hasn't shown up, even though he said he would when he could get to it. I am sick of waiting. What's the big deal? Can I just find a handyman who does bathroom remodeling, which includes plumbing. I don't want to kill my lawn, or wear out that tinker toy sump pump, either.

Reach4

Reaction score
How about running this to join your laundry standpipe? No DIY inclination? Other than complaining about Culligan's misbehavior, was the purpose of your post really to ask how to find an unlicensed person to do the work?

How about getting a plumber to fix it, and suing the Culligan operator in small claims court to recover the fee?

Or maybe complain to Culligan about the franchisee's misbehavior.

Glory

Reaction score
The washing machine is upstairs, and the Culligan is in the basement, if that matters. I will take every opportunity to diss Culligan, that is certain, and complaining to the headquarters is a superb idea. I am mystified as to why our usual plumber doesn't seem to want the job. It was part of a two-fer as we got a new water heater in an attempt to clear everything up because the water was not clear even with the conditioner, and he installed that and re-routed the intake of the Culligan so that it did not filter water going to the outside spigots, which was so basic that any idiot should have taken care of this at installation. FTR, he was paid promptly, as he always is. If this id s DIY, I'm out, but can find a handyman on my own, licensed or not, I don't give a rip if he does the job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks