I've replaced the Cartridge, the Seat, and the Spring. Why do I still have a leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumb Perplexed

Reaction score
One of my sinks in the bathroom developed a major leak, like as in a stream. I checked some YT tutorials out and thought it seemed pretty easy and that I could fix it myself, and I have made "some" improvement. I've replaced the cartridge, the seat and the spring but I still have a sizeable leak. A small stream. What else could I look at replacing?

Reach4

Reaction score
Where is the water coming out of -- the spout, or what?

Reach4

Reaction score
Replacing the whole faucet is probably the easy way unless this is a particularly nice faucet. But since you have another matching faucet, you may need to replace both.

If you knew the model number of what you have, or maybe even just post a photo, somebody may know how to fix it.

If you replace, keep the model number and receipt under the faucet, so you will be able to call Delta (for example) to get free replacement parts if that becomes necessary at some point. Most faucets have a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think that's upside down. Make and model of the faucet? I tried to insert an exploded view of the faucet I suspect it is, but it's not working.

Last edited:

Plumb Perplexed

Reaction score
Replacing the whole faucet is probably the easy way unless this is a particularly nice faucet....
I get what you're saying but my initial reaction is that this is kinda like getting a new car because of a leaky gas tank. At this point I really want to try to figure this thing out.

It seems like a poor design that is doomed to fail, and yet at the same time I fail to see why it works at all. This may be simplistic, but it appears that when you turn the handle the cartridge turns which lines up a hole on the bottom of the cartridge to the hole in the housing of the faucet which is the water source. I'm not sure what the spring does except to push the seat up to make contact with the bottom of the cartridge.

I really don't understand why it is still leaking.

Plumb Perplexed

Reaction score
I think that's upside down. Make and model of the faucet? I tried to insert an exploded view of the faucet I suspect it is, but it's not working.
I tried it both ways. Logically it would seem to make sense that the spring pushes the seat upwards to come into contact with the bottom of the cartridge to prevent a leak, in which case the spring would have to be large side up, but somehow even like that I have a leak still.

I've looked at things on line and they just say put the spring in but don't specify which end of it goes up.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I tried it both ways. Logically it would seem to make sense that the spring pushes the seat upwards to come into contact with the bottom of the cartridge to prevent a leak, in which case the spring would have to be large side up, but somehow even like that I have a leak still.

I've looked at things on line and they just say put the spring in but don't specify which end of it goes up.
Look at an exploded view. I'm pretty sure it's upside down. I've had to give them a little stretch to get them up stop. But they won't work wrong side up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks