Wiring options for a Taco 6 zone switching relay

Users who are viewing this thread

Fuellhauler223

Reaction score
I am trying is future out my options for adding a second heater in my garage for a additional third stall. I currently have a hot water to air exchanger out there. It does a good job but runs non stop when the temp gets to -20 outside. So I am not expecting it to be capable of heating more space. The return water of this heater is warmer then it should be with everything throttled down.

So my question is I would like to use the return to supply the additional heater with hot water and install it as a separate zone. I am currently using a Taco 6 zone relay. So everything should be straight forward to hook up except one thing. I need both zones to turn on the same recirculating pump with out back feeding the power to the other zone and starting the other unit.

Thanks Shawn

Fitter30

Reaction score
Just guess at your zone controller just give me the brand and model

Attachments

• IMG_20210911_131128.jpg
    IMG_20210911_131128.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 211

Fuellhauler223

Reaction score
Just guess at your zone controller just give me the brand and model

Thanks for your reply

Everything i am dealing with is 120 volts except the thermostat. The taco zone relay pretty much takes care of everything for me. I just need to add a second zone and heater in my garage. I some how need to bring 2 hot wires down to my circulating pump each from separate zones. But I can back feed to the other zone. That would cause the fan on the heater to run. Is there some sort of isolating relay that would allow a pump to be feed by two sources with out back feeding the other.

Fitter30

Reaction score
What i drew is a isolated relays. What zone controller and model because don't know if control power is from unit or controller

Fuellhauler223

Reaction score
What i drew is a isolated relays. What zone controller and model because don't know if control power is from unit or controller

The controller is a Taco SR506-EXP

The power comes from the controller box. I might have ask my question incorrectly. I am not sure there is any provision with in the box to start two pumps at the same time. Except of course the main loop circulating pump. That is why I was asking about a relay that could get powered from two sources to run the same pump. That way each heater would have heat available to it but the fan would only run if that zone is calling for heat. Right now with just one zone in the garage I just wired the fan and pump to the same screw so they both start at the same time. You can see that in zone five with my picture. That has two wires to that screw.

Attachments

• 3F860DDD-B127-4F62-B5B3-A0F20A40BC48.jpeg
    3F860DDD-B127-4F62-B5B3-A0F20A40BC48.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 212
  • F0C00397-3976-4E4D-B0B5-06220C07AC8C.jpeg
    F0C00397-3976-4E4D-B0B5-06220C07AC8C.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 189

Fitter30

Reaction score
The diagram i drew is for the top of the controller not the bottom. Each relay coil i s independent of each other with is not line voltage but 24 vac. Where ever thoughs two wires go you have to investigate them. Im working on just the thermostats for either zone or both calling for heating. Just a guess two pumps?

Fuellhauler223

Reaction score
The diagram i drew is for the top of the controller not the bottom. Each relay coil i s independent of each other with is not line voltage but 24 vac. Where ever thoughs two wires go you have to investigate them. Im working on just the thermostats for either zone or both calling for heating. Just a guess two pumps?

thanks for your reply. I am sorry I think I am failing with my question. To answer your question right know when the garage zone called for heat and there is power to the bottom screw it it send power to two wires. The first is the water circulation pump and the second is the fan blower motor in the garage. Up until this point everything is simple and normal. Now to complicate things. We are adding a third stall on to our garage. The way it was drawn up is the garages will be adjoined with a six food opening. I just don’t think I am going to get the heat transfer from one side to the other. So I was thinking the return water from my first heater is plenty warm why can’t I just connect the return water into the supply water on the second heater. That way I only need one circulating pump that is already there. I however would like it to be on two different zones to I can very the temp a bit. So this is where is become more complex. If I use the Taco relay box it will be easy to start each fan by it self using different zones. But both zones will need to start the same circulation water pump with out backing feeding power to the other zone. ThAt is where my question about a isolation relay comes in to play

Fuellhauler223

Reaction score
Think this should work
Thanks for your reply. Your wiring diagram is above what I am capable of understanding. I did the wiring in the box of the taco control valve and had no problem with that. Is there a specific relay that I can buy and play with it to figure it out. I noticed you had the fan in your diagram. That should not be a factor the taco relay should handle that. However that is why I need the relay to power the circulating pump so I don’t back feed the fan in the other zone.

Fitter30

Reaction score
thanks for your reply. I am sorry I think I am failing with my question. To answer your question right know when the garage zone called for heat and there is power to the bottom screw it it send power to two wires. The first is the water circulation pump and the second is the fan blower motor in the garage. Up until this point everything is simple and normal. Now to complicate things. We are adding a third stall on to our garage. The way it was drawn up is the garages will be adjoined with a six food opening. I just don’t think I am going to get the heat transfer from one side to the other. So I was thinking the return water from my first heater is plenty warm why can’t I just connect the return water into the supply water on the second heater. That way I only need one circulating pump that is already there. I however would like it to be on two different zones to I can very the temp a bit. So this is where is become more complex. If I use the Taco relay box it will be easy to start each fan by it self using different zones. But both zones will need to start the same circulation water pump with out backing feeding power to the other zone. ThAt is where my question about a isolation relay comes in to play
Stated fan and pump run at the same time thats what i drew. Any style relay that is rated at 20 amps (don't know what the amps are for motor) for controling the motor or 5 amps for thermostat

Fuellhauler223

Reaction score
Stated fan and pump run at the same time thats what i drew. Any style relay that is rated at 20 amps (don't know what the amps are for motor) for controling the motor or 5 amps for thermostat

thanks again for your help. Maybe it might help to admit my deficiency. Years ago I worked as a plumber and once in a while when needed did a little on the heating side. What I showed you was very easy for me to do because I had watch and helped install this stuff before. But reading your wiring diagram or you telling me any relay will work is complete foreign to me.

Maybe what I am visualizing can’t be done. I was hoping for a relay that could accept power from two sources to turn one circulating pump on. That allows the fan on each heater/zone to operate independently.

Fitter30

Reaction score
thanks again for your help. Maybe it might help to admit my deficiency. Years ago I worked as a plumber and once in a while when needed did a little on the heating side. What I showed you was very easy for me to do because I had watch and helped install this stuff before. But reading your wiring diagram or you telling me any relay will work is complete foreign to me.

Maybe what I am visualizing can’t be done. I was hoping for a relay that could accept power from two sources to turn one circulating pump on. That allows the fan on each heater/zone to operate independently.
There is no way that one relay can do what u want. It takes two where if one call for heat the other doesn't there is no feed back if both call.

Fuellhauler223

Reaction score
There is no way that one relay can do what u want. It takes two where if one call for heat the other doesn't there is no feed back if both call.

Ok well thanks for trying I do appreciate it. I just may have to hire that done. I definitely don’t need to burn something out getting over my head. At least I know it is possible to do what I want b

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks