Repairing a QD Franklin control box - or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I have several properties using a 1hp Franklin control box. They are all CSCR - capacitor run. QD - not the "Deluxe" box, but the quick disconnect type. So the relays are starting to fail. I have searched all the web and not a single hit on the blue Franklin relay comes up. The part number is 223 415 914. The 914 is the determination that is a capacitor RUN box.

Any of you well guys want to sell this item or do you even stock them? I suspect that most just swap out the entire QD cover. Some years ago I saw one and it was more than the cost of the replacement panel. Crazy economics.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I think they quit making those old solid state relays and went back to the standard and more reliable mechanical relays. You should be able to replace the solid state ones with the mechanical ones. But I have to ask, why are the starting relays failing as all they do is start the pump? To many starts? :)

Ballvalve

Reaction score
I think they quit making those old solid state relays and went back to the standard and more reliable mechanical relays. You should be able to replace the solid state ones with the mechanical ones. But I have to ask, why are the starting relays failing as all they do is start the pump? To many starts? :)

Yeah, maybe one day I'll go over to a CSV;) Really, though, these have been outstandingly reliable. Its just that these boxes are getting really old, 10++ years. You know, like me. I only have one that tests 'off' and the pump was still starting but noisy. I keep back up boxes at most wells, around here you cant afford to lose water with the heat and fire danger. I got a quote on one relay finally for $90 + shipping and 3 weeks lead. That's crazy since the entire QD regular box sells for $50. Unfortunately the relay has a different part number. Probably that one works but I have not tried it. I do have some delux boxes with the white relay, I'll give that a try. Thanks

Ballvalve

Reaction score

Those blue relays are impossible to find and cost $90 from the maker. The mechanical ones are $24 [Chinese] and $35 USA. So in this crazy world I went on Ebay and found a bunch of 1 and 1/2hp control boxes, brand new for $35 delivered. So you get the box and start cap for free. Thing about the QD boxes is that you end up with a barrel full of the mounting box since one normally just swaps the cover. The Zoeller boxes have the white relay in them and cost less even though made by Franklin.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks