Cracks forming next to plastic Uponor fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
No, in my attic
I am surprised by the yellowing of the rings. I suspect it gets really hot in your attic. Maybe put an outdoor thermometer remote sensor up there.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good Luck Bow and Breplum or client of! I would expect some comment from uponor on the yellowing etc as they should know more than us or jadnashua. as an owner or an insurance company Id be pushing for more than a coupling or splice fitting 2 dollars worth of parts aint going to fix it.
I think Id be re piping

bow

Reaction score
I am in San Diego, so it does get hot on occasion. However, I imagine the pipe itself is normally on the warmer side since its the hot water?

But yah, that is kinda weird the yellowing. Good idea on the sensor.

-bow

I am surprised by the yellowing of the rings. I suspect it gets really hot in your attic. Maybe put an outdoor thermometer remote sensor up there.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
theres a lotof places that have triple digit heat. city of san diego not too bad . but its reall hot where I live and my county likely hottest in country . but places all up and down the state have many 100 degree days . So is my house expected to fail soon its 21 years old?
btw just checked and its rated for 200 degrees at 80 psi or 180 degree at 100 psi . so i dont know if yellowing is a problem but it shouldnt crack at those temps and psi .

Last edited:

bow

Reaction score
Hey breplum, thanks for the response!

Like I mentioned, our house was torn down to the studs and completely remodeled in 2014. ALL brand new Uponor PEX and Uponor fittings. First failure happened March 2019. My father-in-law was the licensed plumbing contractor to install it -- he has since retired. The local supply house had not idea what was wrong and ended up just giving me some lame Uponor instance claim form.

I keep patching it, but sounds like the whole line might be bad so I should consider just removing the PEX line and installing a new one.

Just sucks.... Anytime I leave the house for a few days I just get worried I am gonna come back and have a bunch of water damage. :|

View attachment 76458 View attachment 76459
Uponor is paying for limited repairs on those leaks. They have been very closed-mouthed about cause or other similar issues.
The house in question was only 10 years old and is 100% Uponor product failure.
The customer and attorney is pushing for something more whole-house remedy but Uponor resists so far.

The splits are exactly the same as PHXflood (original poster), so now, this is a unfolding and maybe soon to be class action or recall. Don't hold your breath, though.

Attachments

• IMG_1382.jpg
    IMG_1382.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 262

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey breplum, thanks for the response!

Like I mentioned, our house was torn down to the studs and completely remodeled in 2014. ALL brand new Uponor PEX and Uponor fittings. First failure happened March 2019. My father-in-law was the licensed plumbing contractor to install it -- he has since retired. The local supply house had not idea what was wrong and ended up just giving me some lame Uponor instance claim form.

I keep patching it, but sounds like the whole line might be bad so I should consider just removing the PEX line and installing a new one.

Just sucks.... Anytime I leave the house for a few days I just get worried I am gonna come back and have a bunch of water damage. :|
I guess if your ok fixing it no big deal but I would have adressed it with them . Id be repiping I guess you been eating all the repair and patching . I wouldnt trust it after multiple times

bow

Reaction score
I think you're right Jeff ! At first I thought it was just a single failure that maybe my father-in-law accidentally expanded bad (he's getting old :))

Then it happened again.... and it seemed fishy. But now that I've had 3 leaks (that screwed my dry-wall) and around 8 fittings that cracked, I am thinking repiping is definitely necessary. I've tried turning off my recirculation system thinking that was it... and then also by-passed my soft water tanks. This last week happened with both of those disabled.

Anyone on here know a good point of contact at Uponor? Like I mentioned before, I tried to go through the supply house my father-in-law used, but they aren't very helpful and didn't seem to really care?

-bow

I guess if your ok fixing it no big deal but I would have adressed it with them . Id be repiping I guess you been eating all the repair and patching . I wouldnt trust it after multiple times

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Bow , I get it, first leak you take care of and hope its a flook , and now your on 3 and its concerning. Yours is just the red color pipe ? this could turn into a insurance claim as well mold or water damage , and drywall repair .
Ive never dealt with customer service much but it shouldnt be much more than phone calls to get started . just a matter of how they deal with you.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'll just add the yellowing I have seen a lot. I don't think it's much of an issue.

Reach4

Reaction score
All fittings are poly (black plastic)
The Uponor plastic fittings are called EP (engineered polymer). They are not polyethylene, but they are plastic.

bow

Reaction score
To Reach4's point, they are the black plastic fittings. And the fittings are fine -- no cracks. It's just the expanded red pipe around the fitting that has cracks.

Thanks. Any pics of the cracked poly fittings?

John

BN1029

Reaction score
Has anyone else been seeing Uponor PEX pipes forming small cracks and leaking next to the expansion ring fitting? We seem to be removing more and more of these with no apparent pattern other than the location of the water leak and the plumbing system.
There is a class action lawsuit in CO against Uponor for premature pipe failure (https://www.classaction.org/news/di...agued-by-cracking-defect-class-action-alleges). It sounds like this may be the issue you're having. Basically, they claim that the process Uponor was using to color their tubing red or blue involved heating the tubing to the point where it would eventually become brittle around expansion points. They were the only manufacturer to use this process. Uponor has since stopped making their red and blue tubing and now is only selling white with color lettering.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
maybe plastic aint so fantastic. Everyone swears by PEX, bummer to hear about this its bad all the way around the manufacture all the way down to consumer. but hopefully product has improved

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
From what i have read it is only the red pex.

Since the red is used to denote the hot water side, I wonder if it's the combination of heat and manufacturer's radiation exposure ( process used to color the pipe) that causes early cracking. IOW, I wonder if the blue will start failing in a few more years as age catches up to it. All I know is that if I was repiping because of red PEX failure, I'd get the blue the hell out of there at the same time and go with all white.

John

Plumbstar

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm seeing the exact same thing here in Newport Beach on homes about 10 years old. Most of these homes have whole house filter that should be removing chlorine & chloromines

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks