Advice for replacing water tank and boiler

Users who are viewing this thread

icu222much

Reaction score
I am looking to replace my rusting gas hot water tank (15 years old) and leaking gas boiler (30 years old), and am trying to determine what the most cost-efficient long-term solution (30+ years) would be (ie - installation fee, maintenance cost, gas bill...).
A bit about my house:
  • 3300 sqft 30 year old detached (5 bed, 5 bath)
  • Vancouver, Canada
  • ~$13/GJ gas price ($300 per winter month, $60 per summer month)
  • 5 zone radiant heat on both floors
  • Poly-b pipes
Questions:
  • From my research, there are three systems I can use. Are there any other systems/options I have missed?
    1. Standard efficiency hot water tank & standard efficiency boiler
    2. High efficiency hot water tank (aka hot water on demand) & high efficiency boiler
    3. Combi system high efficiency with a storage tank (I was told I would need a water storage tank with a home larger then 3000sqft)
  • Is one type of system (standard efficiency, high efficiency, combi system) more reliable then another? I figured the high efficiency and combi systems are more complex, therefore can break more easily.
  • Would the maintenance for each system be similar? What should be done to maintain the system, the frequency, and the cost?
  • Generally, how long does each type of system last?
  • What do you think the gas savings would be with each type of system? From what I understand, a standard efficiency system is roughly 80% efficient, where-as a high efficiency would be around 95%. In that case, would I be saving just 15% on my gas bill if I purchase a high efficiency system?
  • I have a few installers coming next week. Are there any specific questions I should ask them?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Heres one article about poly b pipe its history and problems.
https://www.poly-b.com/
What water temperature did the old boiler run at and the btu rating? All condensing boilers are 95% efficient because of the low return water temperature of 130*f or lower. Above 130* 86%. Has the existing domestic hot water kept up with your demands? Does the boiler cycle when it gets to the extreme cold? Take a pic of the boiler and water heater tank name plates.

Myhouse

Reaction score
Since you have a boiler, ask them about indirect water heaters. No vapor ignition safety nonsense to worry about, which direct-fire water heaters require (in the USA anyhow). Plus, indirects have nearly zero standby heat loss.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks