Toto CST484CEMFG Maris- can't get more than 2" of water in the bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

Carla.

Reaction score
We just moved into a house with a Toto toilet in the ensuite. On moving in the bowl was FILTHY - once we cleaned it up we realized that it's because the bowl only holds a small amount of water in the very bottom where it drains.

To clarify, 3-4 sheets of toilet paper is enough to absorb it all, you're basically doing your business into a dry bowl which is disgusting.

I've adjusted the water level screw in the tank all the way clockwise, the water in the tank sits slightly above the depth line marker (I've tried various depths, no change in bowl level). The flush seems fine, strong, lots of water, it just stops filling unusually early.

How do I get a usable amount of water into my toilet?

index.php

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
cst494_k09.jpg

This is a TOTO Connelly Dual-Max Cyclone bowl, but basicly the same thing.
The water comes in at three points, one of them at the side in the lower part.
There is a lot of solid surface, like many dual flush toilets. They do tend to need more cleaning.

Reach4

Reaction score
Slowly pour an additional quart of water into bowl. Does the level in the bowl rise and stay up there? If so, there is a problem with the bowl refill. The refill tube may be out of position, or you may need to adjust the refill amount if your fill valve has that adjustment.

There are many refill valves that have adjustable refill.

If after slowly adding the quart the water level recedes to where it was before you poured, the design of that toilet probably has a low water spot. A crack in the weir is possible, but rare.

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Make sure the fill valve says TOTO or a Lavelle 528T that has a blue top. These 2 valves provide additional water to the bowl that others do not.

528T_out_1.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The bowl gets refilled by the hose coming off of the refill valve. If it's kinked, misadjusted (some are adjustable), not pointing into the overflow tube, or not even connected, you'll not get the proper bowl fill.

If it's a dual-flush toilet, keep in mind that the bowl normally won't hold more water than what the smaller flush will clear so that all of the waste is evacuated, regardless. This means that the water spot will either be quite small, and a little deeper, or wider, and shallow. That's the nature of dual flush toilets, and lower flow toilets unlike an older one that might use 7-10 gallons per flush; a new one can't use more than 1.6g in the USA, and lower values are mandated in some places.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks