Side or Heel inlet 90 dry vent branch

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Any problem using a side or heel inlet quarter bend to attach a branch off a dry vent? All piping in this arrangement are dry vents above the flood rim but it's difficult to connect with a tee or wye in this spot. Thanks,

DIY

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you're just connecting vents, no drainage, should be fine. A low heel inlet 90 is basically a san-tee, where the low heel inlet has to be pointed up in drainage applications, but you can use it for venting. And a side inlet quarter bend can't be used for drainage at all, just venting, to my knowledge.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't see a problem with venting. we have vent tees with no direction to them

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
For heel inlet, just use a san-tee.

For quarter bend with side inlet, you could use two street 45s and a san-tee. Or a san-tee and a street 90.

Cheers, Wayne

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Yeah that's the thing though, I have just quarter bend in that spot, 2 45s and a San tee won't fit. Are there any other fittings I'm not thinning of that come in 2in?

Reach4

Reaction score
Yeah that's the thing though, I have just quarter bend in that spot, 2 45s and a San tee won't fit. Are there any other fittings I'm not thinning of that come in 2in?
How about a drawing or photo of the spot?

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Spears-P442-251-2-x-2-x-1-1-2-PVC-DWV-Reducing-Vent-Tee
p442-251-1.jpg

https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/2-dwv-pvc-vent-tee-p441-020.html

A 2x2x2 Charlotte vent tee is 11/16 shorter than a 2x2x2 Charlotte santee

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
vent tee works too. very rarely used because its more cost and not always available. just a vent above flood level shouldn't be a problem

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, a picture or drawing is required for use to advise you further.

The upshot is likely that if you have an existing 2" vent you want to tie a new vent into, you can't do that directly at an existing quarter bend, as the fitting you'd need doesn't exist. If you have access to the pipe just before or just after the quarter bend, using a san-tee there should work.

Cheers, Wayne

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Thanks, I'd post some photos but it would require a photo essay to explain the situation because there are multiple vents I could tie into, and tradeoffs how to get the vent to the trap of the tub far away, but I think I have an idea.

Is it okay to make a 180 degree turn in a dry vent? I can replace the quarter bend with a san-tee on it's back, but the then the new connection would be heading the wrong direction. Two horizontal 90s or vent elbows could solve that problem, but it didn't feel right. Would you folks be comfortable with that?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since a quarter bend can be replaced with a san-tee with the new connection pointing in one two different directions, I don't see how you'd need to a 180 in both cases.

I think at least a diagram is really required here. Or just a photo with the desired connection area highlighted; we'll accept for the moment "for various reason, the new vent should connect here, not those other places over there".

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
Is it okay to make a 180 degree turn in a dry vent?
You must not make the vent line not be sloped toward a drain.
Or avoiding the double negative, the downhill path must always slope toward a drain.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Ok this doesn't really capture all the obstacles, but more or less shows what I'm trying to do. There is room to come towards us looking straight at the paper and run through the joist bay. An obvious solution would seem to be to replace the second 90, but that area us behind a wall and there are a lot of obstacles there.

Attachments

• 20210827_170714.jpg
    20210827_170714.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 230

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your drawing is an elevation within a ceiling joist bay? And the "tub vent" is what you want to connect? But you can't just replace the right hand 90 with a san-tee, because there's an obstacle just to the right of the right hand 90? And perhaps the "tub vent" is actually reaching the ceiling joist bay closer to the camera than the drawing suggests, i.e. it's not in the same plane as the double 90s?

If I have that all correct, then how about replacing the two 90s with 2 45s and a san-tee in between them? Then the side inlet could point towards the camera, and the tub vent could jog over and turn towards the page to hit the san-tee side inlet.

If I don't have that correct, we'll probably need a better drawing. Or a photo.

Cheers, Wayne

DIYorBust

Reaction score
You have it basically correct. The tub vent is not in the same joist bay, but I can get to it.

Your solution is very good, but I can't reach the second 90 without doing some demolition that I'm trying to avoid. I guess it's an option, but it's much easier to replace the left 90 with a san-tee and loop around if that's acceptable.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Doing the demo and changing the right hand 90 to a san-tee is the cleanest solution, plumbing-wise.

You can loop around if your loop is horizontal and pitched back to a drain (e.g. pitched towards the tub vent riser).

As to the original question of a quarter bend with a side inlet, you could try to find one of these 2" san-tees with 2" side inlet and plug one of the openings (as long as you don't create a place for condensation to get trapped):

https://www.winsupplyinc.com/charlotte-pipe/_/A-03940485

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks