What does one call this air hose connector?

Users who are viewing this thread

Joseph Skoler

Reaction score
Trying to replace the air hose and it has a straight 1/4" connector on it.

The original has a 90* angle connector on, so I need an adapter.

Anyone know what adapter/fitting I could use?

Thanks!

IMG_1516.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
An elbow. Usually that would have 2 female threads. There is a street elbow with one female thread.

Nominal 1/4 inch pipe is 0.540 OD, and the NPT thread tapers down from there.

Last edited:

Joseph Skoler

Reaction score
An elbow. Usually that would have 2 female threads. There is a street elbow with one female thread.

Nominal 1/4 inch pipe is 0.540 OD, and the NPT thread tapers down from there.

Thank you, but it looks like the threaded end swivels (or, rather, spins independently of the rest of the fitting), so I thought it wasn't a regular elbow.

Like these:

1e38cf54-5625-44ee-9acb-711c49301bf7_1.f174843c4a01071d1bbaeced5d65db67.jpeg

61bwnAkot1L._SL1195_.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Those would be street elbows. For threaded connections, you would use PTFE tape and/or pipe dope, and you would with water.

If the connector hose has a gasket, you would not use PTFE tape, but you would use silicone lube or pipe dope as a lube.

Look into the end of your new hose. I suspect it has a gasket.

Joseph Skoler

Reaction score
The goal is to replace the hose (which has the connector crimped on to it).

So, I believe I need to go with 1/4" male on the reel (shown in the pic) to 1/4" male (both NPT) that is on the new hose.

Sounds like I can simply use an elbow and don't have to worry about a swivel connection, right?

Like these fittings for this hose:

61+ik5SLC4L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

81wMJ2BLrLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thanks!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
why not reuse the fitting. looks like 1/4 inch crimp x 3/8 flare 90 to me . you could just buy the flare x fip 90 and screw it on a male hose

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
in the original setup, you would not have been able to attach the hose without the swivel. The hose is permanently attached to the fitting, so without the swivel, the entire hose would need to turn along with the fitting is screwed in. Likely not possible with the space you have.

The new FTPxFPT elbow and hose you show would work. Of course, you need to attach the fitting first and then the hose. A hose with a swivel would be better. With the one shown, you'll also need to turn the hose as you screw it in.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Look into the end of your new hose. I suspect it has a gasket.
While the new hose is not shown, if it has the same swivel end, it relies on a metal-to-metal end face seal. Such hoses are common on hydraulic systems and on truck air brake systems. You can find a street elbow with a swivel end on hydraulic or air brake fitting shops.

Note the precise machined end for a proper seal.
chrome_OgHVTzLXUV.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
joseph, took another look . you can remove the first fitting which is npt femal x flare. and use a 90 npt x npt . you just gotta reuse the nipple or remove and use a street 90. also I dont think the hose reel is same size as the hose

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am not convinced that it is flare.

easy enough to do away with it. those little fittings at a hardware or an ill equiped place might have to use a bushing or unplanned fitting to hook it up. especially if sizes and type are unknown

Joseph Skoler

Reaction score
I'm starting to understand.

So one theory is that there is a 3/4" npt to 1/2" flare nipple between the reel and the existing hose, right?

If it's not a flare, what kind of swivel (non-fixed) threaded piece could be on the end of the fitting on the hose?

If I replace the nipple with a 3/4" npt to 1/2" npt, I still don't think I can get an elbow on it because there's no room around the elbow to rotate it.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm starting to understand.

So one theory is that there is a 3/4" npt to 1/2" flare nipple between the reel and the existing hose, right?
Well I cant guess the sizes being 3/4 or 1/2 screwing into the reel.
I think as 2 people said that its likely not a flare joint but a swivel a swivel i belive a straight pipe thread so that the face of fitting makes it leak tite . ones I saw in pic above posted claims its a tapered thread ( NPT) so Im not sure on any of this but if I had the reel and the hose fairly confident I could hook it up and figure what I needed . a bit hard without being there

If it's not a flare, what kind of swivel (non-fixed) threaded piece could be on the end of the fitting on the hose?

If I replace the nipple with a 3/4" npt to 1/2" npt, I still don't think I can get an elbow on it because there's no room around the elbow to rotate it.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't think anybody proposed that anything was 3/4. 3/4 would be over an inch in diameter.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
First off, I think the hose end is smaller than 1/2 inch. Either way, it does not need to be replaced. The right angle fitting I posted has the same swivel end that your hose has and so the entire fitting does not need to rotate to be attached.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks