Home drain lines are clogging at the cleanout. Water under laminate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
we really have no idea that the B/W valve has anything to do with this problem. it could easily just be a clogged line .
just do something anything it wont likely get fixed without trying something

I thought that the Water barely flowing past the BWV was the clue.. but maybe I read too much into that.

CaliSkier

Reaction score
Each brand of backwater valve has a different method for top removal.

Some use a 2x4 stuck into the top. Some have flimsy tabs on top like you've shown which say to hand tighten only.

Since yours is located in the sewer and covers the entire house flow, it really should be Normally Open. Which there is only 1 good version of that.
The Mainline #4963 with a vault built around it so that is accessible without digging as all backwater valves require inspection and maintenance / cleaning periodically. There is an aftermarket device for this BWV that has an alarm so that you are alerted to backflow situations and can stop using water on your side and avoid flooding your own home.

It should be a normally Open device so that air flow back and forth is maintained throughout the entire plumbing / sewer system.
Yes that would be a better option but would cause me to have to tear everything out. Mine is the proflo 42852 and is pushed open by the water flowing out.

CaliSkier

Reaction score
OK, so I got the lid off. Its a Proflo 42852
https://www.ferguson.com/product/proflo-3-in-plastic-hub-backwater-valve-pf42852/_/R-855034

I am trying to figure out if the flap on the inside needs a rubber gasket because as you can see in the picture there is a ring grove for one but there is no rubber o-ring, should there be one? Everything else looked pretty clean as in no major debris
upload_2021-8-5_21-44-45.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-8-5_21-44-45.jpeg
    upload_2021-8-5_21-44-45.jpeg
    15.8 KB · Views: 116

Reach4

Reaction score

CaliSkier

Reaction score
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71RgZSky1QL.pdf #7 seems to say there should be a rubber seal.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/91UQSeVfCzL.pdf does not seem to show a seal for the flapper. So not at all sure.

OH, I saw this and never read it!! Yes, this is the same doc from here:
https://www.ferguson.com/product/proflo-3-in-plastic-hub-backwater-valve-pf42852/_/R-855034

and it says on 7 like you pointed out:
After cleaning, carefully inspect the o-ring gasket on the lid and the o-ring gasket or rubber seal on the flapper for any damage. If damage exists, replace these components

In my town there are 4 of them at Ferguson, I will go and get the unit and check it out.

You know, my installation is 18" in the ground. That document makes this reference:
All backwater valve sockets are of DWV configuration. When connecting to plastic sewer pipe, use adapter sleeves. If the valve is to be buried in the ground or installed under a concrete floor, an access sleeve with lid is to be installed over the opening in the top of the valve permitting access to the valve for periodic inspection.

My unit does not have this, just buried under 18" of dirt which I think is wrong. I see they make one of these for my unit:
https://www.ferguson.com/product/pr...d=&typeAheadType=product&typeAheadSearch=true

I can't determine what is inside it, but I am guessing its just a blank open piece of PVC to reach down into and grab the flapper. Cant find good pictures.

upload_2021-8-6_0-7-34.png

Chefwong

Reaction score
When you looked at the flapper, was it flowing well when water was moving from inside past.
AKA, before you just go to town snaking/jetting, it's great to at least ID what the root cause is so you can resolve the issue permanently...

CaliSkier

Reaction score
When you looked at the flapper, was it flowing well when water was moving from inside past.
AKA, before you just go to town snaking/jetting, it's great to at least ID what the root cause is so you can resolve the issue permanently...
Yes, there was flow and the flow was about like this video, which I think is a little slow. Note, this is not my house or video. I did not see the water start flowing, so maybe it’s backing up? I think in this video it’s also backing up, the flow seems slow to me

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
remove the flapper let it rip ! if it backs up then the problem is not the backflow valve. this is really simple stuff.
BTW, yes your valve installation was improper just like you read or watched a video. Lazy asses didn't sleeve or provide access to valve, but you can now.
Is everything working normal now?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't determine what is inside it, but I am guessing its just a blank open piece of PVC to reach down into and grab the flapper. Cant find good pictures.

Yes, that is just a sleeve to prevent the lid from being buried in dirt. Anything more than 18" deep and it becomes out of reach.

Chefwong

Reaction score
I'm not qualified as I don't look at flow in DWV mains often but that video with flow seems fine to me. 4" pipe - how much water are you pushing out, how far is the source from the water you are draining as it makes it's back to the -door-, etc.

Without doing anything at this current time, is there water water slowing/backing up.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The BWV is a mechanical device which needs access, so it always needs a sleeve or a vault if its located below grade.
that's my opinion too . I thought you figured under 18 inches could be just buried. which I've never seen or done

CaliSkier

Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice and help, all you guys... Turtles, Chewwong, Jeff Young.

According to the previous owner: "The problem only happens every once in a while when someone flushes too much paper or a tampon or something that is not supposed to be there"

Tenants said they did not do that, but they have 3 men living there, two college boys and their dad. So if one of them gets constipated (sorry) I wonder if that would cause it.

I went to Ferguson Plumbing, and I have to say i have never had such outstanding customer service. everyone was happy, joking around and the place was so clean. We have a plumbing place here called Locke Supply and they always act like you are bothering them.

So Proflo changed the design to make the lid smaller, no longer 6" lid. But they did not roll the part number, you cannot buy the size lid I have anymore but the flappers are the same for my 3" system. Since you can't buy the lid, you also can't buy the access sleeve. Maybe I can get a 6" coupling and a length of 6" pipe with a cap, but then i would have to remove the bottom cap and that may hold the flap in place.

Also of note, the flappers ARE supposed to have an O-ring.

The guy at Ferguson listened to my problem, went and got me a valve, pulled the flapper out of it and told me to try it out. I said how much for just the flapper. He said just your promise that you will tell me how it goes and continue shopping with us.

WOW...

So I will try that out, and spray out both sides of the lines.

Question: If it happens again, what backflow device is recommended? I am thinking of changing to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Rectorseal-9...ocphy=9026279&hvtargid=pla-306983991587&psc=1

or this:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Sioux-C...rrMlwPvFYdEs05AxREAHWFZNvtXV96g4aAurzEALw_wcB

@chefwong they looked at the flow I had on my phone of my setup, (could not post that here) and agreed with you, the flow looks normal.

Reach4

Reaction score
Question: If it happens again, what backflow device is recommended?
Does that city sewer ever back up after big rains? I don't mean does the line to the street clog.
Ask neighbors, especially those who have been around for a long time. Ask the sewer department.

CaliSkier

Reaction score
Does that city sewer ever back up after big rains? I don't mean does the line to the street clog.
Ask neighbors, especially those who have been around for a long time. Ask the sewer department.

I should have said thanks to you as well reach4

Yes I know what you mean, but as a landlord of a nice house I certainly do not want to pay tens of thousands of dollars if the sewer backed up and then have to deal with the tenets.

To your point, or I assume what your point is, the guy at Ferguson said that a lot of plumbers just pull that flap because they get tired of getting called back out.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes I know what you mean, but as a landlord of a nice house I certainly do not want to pay tens of thousands of dollars if the sewer backed up and then have to deal with the tenets.

To your point, or I assume what your point is, the guy at Ferguson said that a lot of plumbers just pull that flap because they get tired of getting called back out.
That was certainly part of my point. If the neighborhood sewers never back up, even after a major downpour, that flap would not be needed.

I do think that normally-closed flaps are likely to leak a lot if they are actually needed.

If there is a place that does back up in the apartment, such a shower or tub, a pump pumping out of the tub to the street-side cleanout might be able to pump faster than the flap leaks. Of course, even with a hypothetical perfect flap, the residents would need to stop using water if the flap closed.

But yes, overhead sewers would probably cost more than $10,000.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I thought that the Water barely flowing past the BWV was the clue.. but may be I read too much into that.
you remove a flapper if its still slow and backing up then.... it aint the b/w valve. Op seems to have a problem understanding it. Of course someone not use to plumbing can't be faulted . hopefully progress today!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks