12" Toilet still 2" from wall. House built in 1974

Users who are viewing this thread

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
So, I am in the middle of doing a bath remodel and I am choosing a new toilet. Upon measuring my existing toilet I realized they are both 2" from the wall.. I installed some interim toilets that were just standard 12" and never really noticed the space. But now it jumps out at me..

I did read some older homes used a 14" and a 10"

Am I stuck with this gap or do I need to order a special toilet and or move the flange (on a concrete slab so not going to happen)

Reach4

Reaction score
14 inch rough toilets are not that special. I would opt for something like the Toto Vespin with a 14-inch Unifit. Not cheap.

The toilets you would like to avoid are those that just use a bigger tank to fill the void, because they are going to stick out from the wall as much as a 12 inch rough toilet would.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Start with measuring the distance between the wall, not the floor molding, to the center of the drain, normally where the bolt caps are.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
Start with measuring the distance between the wall, not the floor molding, to the center of the drain, normally where the bolt caps are.
The more I think about it, It was not a big deal till I measured it.. But now I am thinking if I go with the Toto Ultramax II the significantly smaller tank will really downplay the 2" Space.. I don't want to move the flange and the 2" is not really worth spending $100's more to get a 14"

Your thoughts?

Reach4

Reaction score
You would be spending hundreds to get two more inches of walk space, plus the appearance thing. A "spacesaver" over the toilet could hide the gap and give some extra shelf space.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Each job is different as is customers taste. An inch can be a big deal , if the room is big enough it doesn't bother me .
We spent a day and a half making a few more inches in a clients laundry room 1930s home in Los Angeles. My brother is low priced sometimes but I'm sure it was 1500 or more. Clients kind of well to do but the place is beautiful and the benefit was so much better. They were happy

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks