Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
https://www.americanplumberstories.com/

Over half of America’s skilled trade employees are nearing retirement age. When it comes to plumbing, there are fewer men and women entering the workforce. Our country is in dire need of the next generation of plumbers. Being a plumber isn't just a “good job,” it's a “great job.”

Last edited:

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
https://www.americanplumberstories.com/

Over half of America’s skilled trade employees are nearing retirement age. When it comes to plumbing, there are fewer men and women entering the workforce. Our country is in dire need of the next generation of plumbers. Being a plumber isn't just a “good job,” it's a “great job.”

The young guys who do roll with us end up seeing a lot of nonsense that sours them on the trade. TODAY! we failed an inspection because the inspector felt like the relieving arch didn't have enough silicone. Then we failed another inspection on a mobile home because at the factory the mfg. didn't install a vacuum breaker!! WTF! mobile homes are inspected and approved before they ever leave manufacturing.

So yeah. these young'uns see us having to deal with bullshit from inspectors, bullshit from contractors, bullshit from commercial accounts, massive bullshit and personalties from homeowners, hard work in the heat and cold, hard work underneath the blaring sun, attic water heater installs in the summer, raw sewage, etc. and the giant list of other "Gosh darn golly" no on every plumbers "Gosh darn golly"-no list!

Yeah. it's a good trade. But I can see why young people nope out.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its a good trade if you like it ,horrible if you don't. I love the trade!
No regrets

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
TODAY! we failed an inspection because the inspector felt like the relieving arch didn't have enough silicone. Then we failed another inspection on a mobile home because at the factory the mfg. didn't install a vacuum breaker!! WTF! mobile homes are inspected and approved before they ever leave manufacturing.

Yep. Two factors with inspectors: 1) absolute power corrupts absolutely. 2) some feel the need to justify their pay by finding *something* wrong every time. Of course, it's a minority so I don't want this to sound like an indictment of the profession in general, but I believe those two factors drive most of the ridiculous inspection fails.

John

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think our fellow tradesmen and their attitudes are often worse than inspectors. big mouthes tough guys don't always win.
If my job is to bring something to comply I fix it. If its defective product provided by others I don't fix, fails inspection that's ok call the factory or pay me. but to expect a pass on shoddy work I don't see it. Attitude plays major part too
Plumbing and Construction trades are great and its no secret. look at all the Immigrants that come here with no education or even know the language and kick ass support their family and live a life they never came close too before, they buy homes cars raise kids.
So an able bodied American has a leg up on this but many wont try .
Nothing new been trying to get help for 100 years in this trade (marlinman attached a letter from the UA)

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We have several young promising apprentices. One is an immigrant who knew nothing about plumbing on day 1 and now is my main plumbers #1, The kid he's replaced sorta got miffed and upset and sorta gave up quit and moved to another company.. but then he realized how much better it was here and on jobsites with top notch contractors.. now he's stepped up his game too. We also have one apprentice who appears to do the absolute minimum. He won't last. And that's ok.. he's replaceable with someone who does want to.

I can't even count how many apprentices I've gone through that have gone on to get their licenses and many have started their own businesses.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
So many success stories really . I know Sylvan cant say enough about his guy from 3rd world . Plus lets not forget American born and raised many are good>
I think we as Journeymen , and bosses owe it to show good example to lead the young men who don't quite get it as far as their work ethic. and they can be groomed

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
32 years in the trade(late bloomer) pretty much half union and half non union, I can praise both sides or bitch about them both .
Its not cookie cutter we don't all snake drains and we don't all know a darn thing about medical gas systems . we aren't all working on 60 floor high rises on 40 man crews . or drive a broke down van chasing / and selling jobs.
But I like all aspects and glad that I got in on some of the bigger work, at same time love the days of drilling away and the smell of sawdust in the air chips flying.
More formal training I believe is in dire need, whether it be union or non union.
We have companies that do big jobs 60 guys to several hundred employees and many of these companies start from basically nothing. I've always believed that a good plumber doesn't necessarily make a good plumbing company. just because a guy can fix a car doesn't mean he can run a business. or a cook can run a chain of restaurants.
I think someone entering the trade can go on to run a successful business but it helps to learn other things out side of plumbing .
Good supply houses are hard to find there is almost no end to opportunity in piping!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
With today's youth, if it can be done with a APP, they are not interested. When I was in middle school, (1962-65) grades 7-9 in my school district, we had shop. You learned the basics of electric, printing, wood shop, and metal shop. Never was there plumbing classes.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With today's youth, if it can be done with a APP, they are not interested. When I was in middle school, (1962-65) grades 7-9 in my school district, we had shop. You learned the basics of electric, printing, wood shop, and metal shop. Never was there plumbing classes.

For one of my kids parents day, I brought a framed wall section there with a cord, drill and torch. I drilled some studs, and soldered some pipe. I was a big hit.

I took shop in 7th grade.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
For one of my kids parents day, I brought a framed wall section there with a cord, drill and torch. I drilled some studs, and soldered some pipe. I was a big hit.

I took shop in 7th grade.

My "Shop" class was growing up on jobsites!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks