Can I put a wye under my last cleanout in the basement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rizziot

Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to install a utility sink in my basement for a home brewery. I have very limited space and had originally planned to plumb into my kitchen stack that comes down the wall and into the concrete floor.

The very last fitting on the stack is a 2" cleanout, and after setting my sink up it seems that I will not have enough height to be able to place the wye above it. Any code restrictions etc? I'm in Michigan.

I thought of using a lift pump, but my house seems to only have 1 side vented. All of the sinks on the south west side of the house use studor vents. So when I read the manual for the lift pump it stated that no AAV vents were allowed...

Any other ideas would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• PXL_20210725_040213187.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210725_040213187.MP.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 194
  • PXL_20210725_040207926.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210725_040207926.MP.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 138
  • PXL_20210725_035958080.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210725_035958080.MP.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 140

JJ44

Reaction score
I believe you can put a San-Tee when dumping into a vertical stack. Pretty much any time you have slow-moving (horizontal) dumping into fast-moving (vertical) you can use a San-Tee, otherwise you need the longer sweep when going from fast-moving (vertical) to slow-moving (horizontal). Knowing that: You may buy yourself a couple inches if you ditched the Wye for a San-Tee.

As for your placement question: A quick google search tells me you are under IPC. Here's the bit about cleanouts: https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IPC2018/chapter-7-sanitary-drainage#IPC2018_Ch07_Sec708
I didn't see anything about a clean out required to be last on a stack, and your fitting isn't changing the direction of the stack, so I don't think it would be a problem.

I'm not sure about IPC, but if I recall UPC puts major restrictions on the use of those types of vents (Air Admittance Valves). You may want to search the IPC for the restrictions (if any) of their use.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
AAV's is a check valve that only allows air to enter a pipe. Using a pump in a housing creates positive pressure as water fills the sump, then a vacuum as the pump runs to drain it.

You can move the clean out higher and use a San-Tee, not a wye with an AAV at the sink trap. I'm not a plumber, others will comment if I'm wrong.

https://www.co.lincoln.or.us/sites/..._-_helpful_hints_residential_construction.pdf

Rizziot

Reaction score
Thank you both!

Should I place the San-Tee on the 45 degree PVC coming out of the floor (per the photo), or should i cut at the 90, install a new 90, then the San-Tee, then install the new cleanout above it?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Coming off the vertical for the sink on the floor above, you can use a wye or a santee.
The trap arm for the new sink in the basement will need to be vented after the trap. If using an AAV, at least four inches above the trap arm.

A sewage ejector needs a vent through the roof for it to work properly, not an AAV.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks